Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There Any Way Of Getting My Money Back?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I bought a phone from OnePlus in September 20th 2014. Over the last few weeks it has developed a fault where it loses coverage and needs to be re-booted to get it back.

I contacted their tech support and followed all instruction even uploading a video showing the coverage drop and no return.

Now however they want to be allowed to take remote control of a PC to try and fix the phone connected to the PC. I told them I don't have a PC and no one I know will allow this as they are concerned security wise. This is ridiculous I was happy to follow all their requests but they provided a unit that developed a fault after a few months and niow because I don't have a PC they won't budge they keep repeating just get a PC and we will remote connect and sort this.

I was going to open a dispute with PayPal but just found it needs to be within 45 days :(

Is there anything I can do it cost me €350 :(

I paid using a VISA debit card via PayPal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Get the European small claim form and state case ...only costs .12 Euro. It won't go to court, they'll just pay up. Works for me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

European small claims court? They have failed to offer a repair or replacement(all they have offered is to access a private computer like scammers) so next in line is to go for a refund.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/BE71CDF8FCA10C8C80257559005F5C59?opendocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Thanks :) Only thing I'm wondering is if they are a Chinese company, but they do have a European distribution center will the EU have authority?

Thanks :) Only thing I'm wondering is if they are a Chinese company, but they do have a European distribution center will the EU have authority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mourinho wrote: »

They have several European sites including a UK site so should be well covered under EU regulations.

https://oneplus.net/choose-country

https://oneplus.net/privacy-and-legal

• Advertisement

Thanks foggy you have no idea how much you have helped my nerves, I'll pop into the Court tomorrow and see about getting this underway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

One way to find out lol

Oh btw man, on the privacy & legal page where did you see anything showing an EU presence? I'm printing out emails and the first link showing their EU sites for proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Mourinho - you cannot have multiple threads open on the same topic. I am going to merge this thread with the one in Online Buying & Auctions.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Thanks foggy you have no idea how much you have helped my nerves, I'll pop into the Court tomorrow and see about getting this underway :)

Oh jeez - don't be so ridiculous.

You don;t just "pop into" a court.

First you MUST exhaust all avenues of communication with the company - otherwise you risk losing your claim for wasting the court's time.

Secondly, where / who did you buy the phone from - OnePlus do not sell into Ireland, so you may have got it from a third party.

Thirdly - remote access to a computer by a trusted third party is quite normal - but more for business to business issues.

Fourthly - even if (unlikely) that you go the legal route, you will need the full registered address of the company. If its not in Ireland, then Irish courts can do absolutely nothing for you. If its not in Europe, then European SCC can do nothing for you.

What you can do is very simply go to the oneplus website and look up FAQ and follow instructions on warranty & repairs.

Where you have a problem is that they do not sell into Ireland and therefore do not have repair partners here.

Basically, you need to go back to the person/place you bought the phone and sort it with them.

• Advertisement

delahuntv wrote: »
    Oh jeez - don't be so ridiculous.

You don;t just "pop into" a court.

First you MUST exhaust all avenues of communication with the company - otherwise you risk losing your claim for wasting the court's time.

Secondly, where / who did you buy the phone from - OnePlus do not sell into Ireland, so you may have got it from a third party.

Thirdly - remote access to a computer by a trusted third party is quite normal - but more for business to business issues.

Fourthly - even if (unlikely) that you go the legal route, you will need the full registered address of the company. If its not in Ireland, then Irish courts can do absolutely nothing for you. If its not in Europe, then European SCC can do nothing for you.

What you can do is very simply go to the oneplus website and look up FAQ and follow instructions on warranty & repairs.

Where you have a problem is that they do not sell into Ireland and therefore do not have repair partners here.

Basically, you need to go back to the person/place you bought the phone and sort it with them.

Lose the condescending tone, you seem to be quite adept at it going on your other posts, I'm here for help and advice, not to be talked down to so get that into your head.

I know well I'm not going in laissez faire to get a case started, it's a figure of speech, I was going in to ask what their take is on it before doing anything regarding the fact their homebase is China but they are official available in many European countries.

I got it direct from their UK site and delivered to a NI address so not a re-seller, the exact same way as dozens of other boardsies.

However so you do think if I were to reject this remote access the court would not entertain a request? WHat am I to do seeing as I have no PC or laptop and anyone I've asked has refused as they don't want a year old company gaining remote access to their device?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

From the Oneplus FAQ

'How can I buy the One if OnePlus hasn't launched in my country yet?

We can only ship to the countries listed above. Many of our customers in other countries use friends or mail-forwarding services to receive their order, but OnePlus does not officially support or endorse third-party services.'

Surely they can defend a court case by just stating they do not sell to Ireland

but OnePlus does not officially support or endorse third-party services.'

Therein lies my failure I suppose :(

Right I've got hold on a laptop thats not being used anymore and nothing sensitive on it (recently wiped and fresh install) fingers crossed this will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closed at OP's request

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement