Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda speed check - query

Options
  • 04-01-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Apologies if this has been asked before (if so, a link would be great as I couldn't find one).

Do Garda cars conducting speed checks have to stop you in order for you to get points or with the ANPR device, can they catch you and send on the fine afterwards?

Thanks,

Unwitting speeder on the night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

AFAIK you have to be stopped. It's only the speed vans that can issue a fine without stopping you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

If they have a tripod they dont stop you but I dont think they use these at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

pippip wrote: »
    If they have a tripod they dont stop you but I dont think they use these at night.

I think he's talking about the ANPR cameras on the boot lid

• Registered Users Posts: 3 countryboylost

They were sitting in the car if that helps?

They were sitting in the car if that helps?

Then you're fine, needs to stop you if they are just sitting in the car with the handgun. APNR does nothing for speed.

If they were standing outside the car with a tripod then they don't need to stop you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

I enquiried about this in the summer and was told they don't need to stop you in any case anymore.

Was it tonight just before the m7 merges with the m9 by any chance OP?

I enquiried about this in the summer and was told they don't need to stop you in any case anymore.

Was it tonight just before the m7 merges with the m9 by any chance OP?

Cant say i have any experience in this but I would highly doubt they don't have to stop you if only using a handgun detector. Alot of complications in that scenario that courts would rip apart. Maybe when you inquired they were speaking in relation to a setup with a tripod.

Also I have never heard of a single case on this forum or elsewhere where that has actually happened. Only ever read where they pulled them in or had photographic evidence of the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Then you're fine, needs to stop you if they are just sitting in the car with the handgun. APNR does nothing for speed.

If they were standing outside the car with a tripod then they don't need to stop you.

Some Traffic Corp cars are equipped with ClearTone, which is K-Band Radar and ANPR equipped. It can read the speed of the car in front. You can see it here: https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/546976965509799936 for example. The system is forensically equipped. So yes, in theory, you could be observed speeding and retrospectively brought to court. Again, this is rare. In fact, I've never heard of it occuring. Its partly the reason speed cameras were privatised.

The handheld you are talking about is the Ultralyte 20-20 and its derivatives. Seen here for example: https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/551721613612552192

The top figure is the speed, the bottom is the distance from shooter to the target. It can be hand or tripod operated. It cannot be, without additional components, used to retrospectively issue tickets as it can't take a photo as it stands. You can however equip the Ultralyte to take photos so but its rare in this country. I've never seen it. Its fairly obvious as it will be tripod mounted, clear view of the road and only in daylight. If you see this, stop and take a photo as I know of only two kits in the country. Its a brute of a kit to use and looks somewhat like this:

mdcprodshot2.png

So on the whole, a Garda will stop you if they detect you speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 countryboylost

Thanks for the above.

Was on the South Ring in Cork a week ago at about 5.50pm (so dark). The Garda car up on the bank on the Macroom bound side didn't follow me so was wondering what the story was.

Advertisement