Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Water dripping through cement onto bodywork

Options
  • 04-01-2015 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My car has been knackered for the last few months and I hadn't been able to afford to fix it.

I went to try and move it today and noticed that there's a build up of 'cement water' type residue on the paint work, where it's been dripping from the roof of the garage of the garage it's been parked in where I live.

Any suggestions as to what is best to get rid of it? Warm water not doing the trick and I'm afraid to go at it with anything other than a sponge in case I damage the paint work, although it could well already be knackered. I've read a 1:1 water/vinegar solution might do it.

Cheers,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

How bad is it? Any pictures?

I've never dealt with large areas with this issue, just one or two small splashes so they machine polished off.
    Have read various things work, like using citus acid from Lemons on it to balance the pH, will help break down the bind. Also that Bilt Hamber Surfex HD works or Fallout removers.....but again can't confirm by personal experince!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

It's pretty bad! No pics, can get some though.

To be honest the reason I wasn't driving it was because 3 out of four door locks had stopped working (Common on 2003 VW golf) and the exhaust needed to be replaced , so couldnt get passed the NCT.

The boot lock has now gone as well so the cost of getting it fixed up probably isn't worth doing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That's a build up of calcite, chemical reaction of the water passing by the cement. Tough to break up, even when chiseling it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

AFAIK its Lime from Lime rendering/plaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I had a similar experience with a brand new car a few years ago.

At the time I had a reserved space in a multi storey car park.

The car was metallic black in colour .

After some months I noticed some peculiar grey marks on the car's paintwork.

I could not figure out what was going on, but one day noticed a drip coming from the car park ceiling. The car park was relatively new , however the was like a cement/lime substance dripping in places from the car park roof.

Thankfully the Car Dealership were able to sort the issue without too much bother. Needless to say I brought to the attention of The Management Company in the Multi storey as I was concerned for them in case a less understanding customer may encounter a similar issue.

They very kindly arranged an alternative space for me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Oh go on then..

0286247_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I used Cillit Bang & it came off so easily when I had a similar substance drip on my car when I had it parked in an underground car park.
    No damage to the paint.

This stuff:

41nxbQCFlrL._SY300_.jpg

Polish & wax it afterwards needles to say.

Advertisement