Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a celica

Options
  • 04-01-2015 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Im was thinking of buying a 02 Celica. Always liked the look of them.
    But I cant believe how much more they are to insure over everything else.

Up until recently I drove a type r honda civic, a golf gti before that and also a focus st before that, yet the celica is more than double the insurance cost of the ST! Im 32, 7 years ncb, no points. 123.ie wont even quote me on the car.

Anyone know why they're blacklisted with some insurers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Certainly there is no way it's a blacklisted car, unless of course it's a Jap import or has had significant performance mods - then it could be problematic.

Also, don't you mean a pre-02 Celica? The 2002+ model is a bit pointy/flat/bland, reliable all the same...
    The mk.6 (96-99circa) GT 2.0 or GT4 was the last head turners they made since it's recent re-incarnation as the 'GT86'.

Picked up a mk6 in the UK couple of years ago for 1700, a real headturner. Fully comp (classic) insurance <£350 inc. commercial useage. Tax was £190pa.

The much older Celicas tend to go up in value, a 1984 model which is truly funkalicious would set you back over 5k!

Given the choice between the keys to a very boring brand new A3/A4/A6 or any old Celica, the latter would always win for a days cruising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

LG1234 wrote: »
    Im was thinking of buying a 02 Celica. Always liked the look of them.
    But I cant believe how much more they are to insure over everything else.

Up until recently I drove a type r honda civic, a golf gti before that and also a focus st before that, yet the celica is more than double the insurance cost of the ST! Im 32, 7 years ncb, no points. 123.ie wont even quote me on the car.

Anyone know why they're blacklisted with some insurers?

I drive a 99 Celica with the 2.0 red Beams engine. I've insured loads of "faster" cars, Skylines, MR2s, an Evo, Mitsi FTO etc etc. And I'm 43 with a full no claims. Of all the PITA cars to get insurance swapped onto, this one is the tops - they wanted the log book, to examine it, I had to bring it over for a full photo-session of every bit of it at their offices, and the topper - two months later I still only have a "Temporary" cert till the end of the month, when the Underwriters will decide if they will cover it for the year.:confused: BTW, I have an Irish market 2.0 "normal" 98 Celica too - no issues with insurance on that...

Literally no idea why they have such an issue with these cars, I know it is a JDM car, alright, it can shift a bit if you want to, but I drive like a granny and always did and I have a lot of other vehicles insured, 15 policies in my own name between cars and vans. They seem to have a serious hardon for these. I highly doubt they're worth the hoops you have to jump through to insure them, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I was insured with 123.ie driving an old 1.8 Mondeo a couple of years ago, I was 34, full licence since year dot, 100 years no claims bonus etc. I bought a lovely and clean Jap import Celica190 and they told me they wouldn't insure me on it.
    In the end the AA gave me a great deal including full membership for around the same price as the Mondeo.
    There were too many lads caught out driving around in Glanza's and Skyline's that were down as non-turbos on the logbooks back in the day.
    The insurance companies just don't want the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

In summary don't buy a Jap import or drop in a GT4 turbo engine into a standard 1.8/2.0 based ST/GT, even the addition of one of those very fancy GT4 non-standard tall spoilers on it, could void any insurance claim as it suddenly becomes a more attractive proposition to joyriders.

If you do see one of the very rare old school 70/80's models at an auction for a few hundred, you'll likely more than ten-fold that investment (as long as it isn't too Japanese).

An old mk6 with 120k will have plenty of life left in it, and the low profile will glide along motorways. Used to never have to push it past 3,000 revs and dropped it to neutral a mile before nearing a roundabout. Not a speed demon by any means and averages only around 30mpg. More groove than 95% of cars though.

Advertisement