Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin or TomTom

Options
  • 04-01-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭

I need to buy a sat-nav. I have about €180 to spend. I have looked at both Garmin and TomTom. They both seem to have similar features, so I suppose it comes down to which is the most user-friendly. I narrowed the search down to Garmin Nuvi 2599 and TomTom Go 500.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You might want to also consider a Microsoft/Nokia phone which comes with Here Maps and Here Drive and lifelong free map updates. The debacle with how long it took Garmin to even include Ireland's motorways put me off them forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But Garmin's former map provider, Navteq, is now called HERE, so much of a sameness I'd have thought.

Now I don't know what their long term plans are in terms of charging for it, but there's currently a free beta of HERE available for Android too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en

Alun wrote: »
    But Garmin's former map provider, Navteq, is now called HERE, so much of a sameness I'd have thought.

Now I don't know what their long term plans are in terms of charging for it, but there's currently a free beta of HERE available for Android too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en

Maybe the delay in passing on the updated data was down to Garmin? Anyway, having to pay for map updates I thought was a bit rich so given my experience with a Garmin I got a mid-level Nokia (720) and find it better than the Garmin was. The map updates are fairly frequent and free.

It was just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

bought myself gaemin it came with one free update that was applied at new. even though the motorways where there for years garmin didn't include them. foolishly a friend wanted sat nav and I bought the latest model at the time with one free map update it had the same map as my two year old one. I got on to garmin who just offered that I buy latest maps or lifetime maps for 80 something extra.
    another friend bought some unknown brand complained maps didn't show all the roads and was told just log in to their web site and free updates.

then I discovered navfree and many others with free up to date maps I gave up on garmin. I use my android phone.

my suggestion to you would be buy a Samsung galaxy tab the tab 3 is being sold off cheap at moment as 4 is out, it has built in GPS and can run navfree. update your maps on WiFi at home and it downloads the maps so you can drive without needing data on the move. maps are latest and has voice direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I wondered if anybody still bought stand alone sat navs anymore. +1 for getting a decent smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

smcgiff wrote: »
    I wondered if anybody still bought stand alone sat navs anymore. +1 for getting a decent smart phone.

The problem with using a smartphone for navigation is when I go abroad a couple of times a year. Then I start incurring roaming charges etc. It soon becomes very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The problem with using a smartphone for navigation is when I go abroad a couple of times a year. Then I start incurring roaming charges etc. It soon becomes very expensive.

But if you had the galaxy3, you would not have to have data switched on at all. Likewise with the nokia windows phone. Just download the maps required on wifi before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Tom Tom go 500 is the one i went for and i have no regrets.The old model tom tom was not at all user friendly and with all the sub-menues you could get lost in it.This new one has an all new operating system with a high speed processor so it is very responsive. No more "recalculating" if you take a wrong turn.The map updates almost instantly and keeps you on your way.The touch screen is now high res. and works like my iPhone using 2 fingers to rotate and alter size of map.Of course you can just touch a part of the map and it will take you there too.The audio is also greatly improved.Maps of Europe are updated 4 times a year free for the life of the unit.

Roger_007 wrote: »

Which is one of the main reasons I got a Nokia and Here Maps. Although it's a smartphone, the maps are offline and are stored on the phone. You can download and install maps for most countries as needed.

Since the maps are offline, you don't incur any data or roaming charges to use them. A Nokia operates like a stand-alone sat-nav in that respect.

And yes, Here Maps beats Google maps hands down because it works independent of any phone or internet connection.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    In what way?

In my experience neither are perfect.

Many POI's for businesses on Google Maps are nowhere near where they really are or are for places that shut down or moved many years ago. House numbering can be very erratic too, including my own house which I've reported 3 times to Google who said they fixed it but didn't.

OpenStreetMap coverage which Navfree uses is very good in built-up areas, but can be virtually non-existent in other more remote areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Google Maps are a Joke, Padraig Pearses GAA Club in Roscommon is actually several miles from where Google Maps claim it is located , I have come across loads of other errors. If you want to get lost then use Google Maps

Advertisement