Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint on leather

Options
  • 04-01-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Short of it is, rubbed against fresh paint at work. Yellow paint on a metal barrier. Now have a nice 3" wide by 10" long yellow mark on the part of the seat my back rests against. Black leather on an 08 BMW e91 if that's any help. Having done a lot of reading about detailing and hoping to get started this year just for personal use, I'm pretty píssed off I did this. The leather is in excellent condition (if not particularly nice leather IMO) and I'd love any ideas on how to get rid of the mark without damaging the leather.

12 months ago I'd have lashed on turps. Thank Fúck I started reading this forum since!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

A few pictures in good light will help. Will try recommend something then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

When did this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Curran wrote: »
    A few pictures in good light will help. Will try recommend something then.
    I'll try to get pictures up today, might take a while as I'm not too good with tech!
    When did this happen.
    Happened on Dec 19 but didn't actually notice it until a few days ago as the car was pretty much parked over Xmas.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Where exactly on the seat.

Where exactly on the seat.
    It's where the middle of my back rests when I'm sitting on it. Didn't get a chance to take a photo today, sorry.

• Advertisement

I don't think anything is going to remove that with out damaging the leather.

Thanks for taking the time to reply James. I washed the tshirt over Xmas and the paint is still on it so it doesn't look good for the leather. I wouldn't mind so much but I was watching the guy as he painted and then stuck a 'wet paint' sign next to it. Dumb and ass are the words that spring to mind.

Well at least you learned something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

There's a good chance that the paint is oil based, so these may be worth a shot.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-detailing/128659-olive-oil-gets-paint-off-of-leather.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5229984_remove-oilbased-paint-leather.html

Be careful with it though and clean it off thoroughly and condition the leather afterwards if you do try it as there are mixed views on it ;)

Thanks dmc17 i must investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thanks dmc17 i must investigate.

As I say though, I haven't tried it so use common sense and try a small bit first. If it was water based paint which I'm certain it's not, a warm damp cloth would soften and remove it.

Advertisement