Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A question about electric cars

Options
  • 03-01-2015 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

I've been trying to work this out... Electric cars. Why can they not have two alternators? One to keep charge in the batteries, and another to pump more juice into them, to accommodate the extra use the batteries would have over a standard combustion engine car, thus charging them up, I can't see why this wouldn't work, I have been awake for 17 hours mind...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

An alternator on an electric car wouln't make any sense. Energy has to come from somewhere, and the only form of storage in a pure electric car is the batteries. You can restore some power to the batteries using regenerative braking, i.e. turning some of the kinetic energy back in to electric entry using the power motor in generating mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

shanew wrote: »
    An alternator on an electric car wouln't make any sense. Energy has to come from somewhere, and the only form of storage in a pure electric car is the batteries. You can restore some power to the batteries using regenerative braking, i.e. turning some of the kinetic energy back in to electric entry using the power motor in generating mode

Could it run off the drivetrain? I'm not sure if it's just me being thick, but it just popped up in my head, maybe if I've slept on it I'll find out why it wouldn't work, lol

that's regenerative braking, but all that does is recover energy you already had to use from the battery or some other energy source anyway. Regenerative braking is used by pure-electric cars, and hybrids (include 2014 F1 cars), and I think also by Darts and Luas trains...

Bottom line is the conservation of energy law - no such thing as energy for 'free', always some sort of cost - petrol, battery charge, potential or kinetic energy etc, otherwise perpetual motion machines would work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

sblythe wrote: »
    I've been trying to work this out... Electric cars. Why can they not have two alternators? One to keep charge in the batteries, and another to pump more juice into them, to accommodate the extra use the batteries would have over a standard combustion engine car, thus charging them up...
    Why would you need two alternators, rather than one doing the same thing?
    And what about four alternators, one on each wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

Altenators are used to generate AC power. Electric cars run on DC power. You can't store AC. There is no alternator in an electric car.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator

Get some sleep :)

• Advertisement

Petrol Cars have alternators, with built in rectifiers.. so produce a DC output. They're more efficient than dynamos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No, what you do is you run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and you'll save over £200 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zerohero2015

To generate any decent kilowatts to charge a EV battery you need a big dynamo. The motor of an EV does this when coasting or braking. As a poster said you cant get energy for free, you must use some to generate some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

To generate any decent kilowatts to charge a EV battery you need a big dynamo. The motor of an EV does this when coasting or braking. As a poster said you cant get energy for free, you must use some to generate some.

I think regen braking is confusing people, braking in this case is more akin to engine braking in an ICE vehicle although some EVs receive current from the actual brakes, but not a lot.
    It may be useful to check the Zoe motor/generator details on the net. I often find I am driving the Zoe at 50 mph, with my foot on the throttle pedal and the battery is charging, going down a slight slope. Hope this experience is of some help? It does change the way you may drive, if you drove a petrol car at a speed that put fuel into the tank, how weird would that seem?

Advertisement