Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis or Sorento

Options
  • 03-01-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've got a choice,

My old reliable 2004 petrol Avensis is no longer reliable, it failed its nct, need the cat replaced, both headlamps housing replaced , ac is gone and today while driving the drive shaft snapped it has 220,000m on the clock
    I have been given an option of a 05 Kia Sorrento diesel with 170,000k on the clock, it's rear wheel drive only due to a strange noise coming from front drive so 4w drive has been disconnected, but drives perfect on the road, wiper motor needs replacing do to intermittent problem.
    both cars are out of tax at end of January and both have no nct, I drive over 650k a week, no money but need a car, what should I do try fix the avensis or swap for the Sorrento. I just have to repair the drive shaft on the avensis to swap.
    Help me make up my mind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Keep the Avensis. All those bits easily got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I'd do the few bits on the avensis myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

those are all relatively small problems with the Avensis, you'd get the Avensis repaired and NCT'd for the price of 6 months tax on the Sorento. The Kia doesn't sound like it's in the best condition either with a botched repair to the 4wd etc. better the devil you know. the Avensis is well capable of another 220k if you keep it right.

edit: i'd say the headlight housings failed on hazing. these could be polished up very cheaply to a passable state with no need for replacements. you'd get a used drive shaft for €50 and fitting one wouldn't take long. the cat is the only expensive part @ maybe €2-300 at a guess for a good one. you don't really need a/c once your hot/ cold is working, you'l survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can see why you want to change but don't buy that Kia. Something wouldnt sit right with me about the 4wd being disconnected and alos the road tax will hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Never buy any 4x4 with drive train fault if it wasa easy fix it would be done already instead of a bodged repair.

Good luck with the Toyota

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Off the top of my head:

Pre 05 lamps £40 a side
    New shafts are easy got, look up j&r shafts on ebay, which side has gone? 1.6/1.8 are the same shafts anyway
    I'd have to find out on the cat but I know they're there :)

No, I haven't an Avensis, just know where to easily get these bits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

dgt wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:

Pre 05 lamps £40 a side
    New shafts are easy got, look up j&r shafts on ebay, which side has gone? 1.6/1.8 are the same shafts anyway
    I'd have to find out on the cat but I know they're there :)

No, I haven't an Avensis, just know where to easily get these bits ;)

Outside of your field fancy finding be a checkstrap for a phase 1 gtv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

those are all relatively small problems with the Avensis, you'd get the Avensis repaired and NCT'd for the price of 6 months tax on the Sorento. The Kia doesn't sound like it's in the best condition either with a botched repair to the 4wd etc. better the devil you know. the Avensis is well capable of another 220k if you keep it right.

edit: i'd say the headlight housings failed on hazing. these could be polished up very cheaply to a passable state with no need for replacements. you'd get a used drive shaft for €50 and fitting one wouldn't take long. the cat is the only expensive part @ maybe €2-300 at a guess for a good one. you don't really need a/c once your hot/ cold is working, you'l survive.

The housing at the back of the lamps melts on some of these. I think that's what's wrong with the op's car going by what they are saying. The headlamps will need replacing if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

Thanks guys looks like the avensis is staying now to find money to do it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/breaking-2006-toyota-avensis-2-0-d4d/7246912 Good headlights on this one.
    Same guy has other Avensii for breaking as well for D/shafts
    No connection to him but he has a lot of stuff on donedeal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement