Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving house to rent from parent

Options
  • 03-01-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

2 questions.

1. Is it possible to move house while on JSA including moving to a different socoal welfare office

2. Will it be a huge deal to be renting my dad's 2nd house?

Background.....

Dad's job includes a house. He has a 2nd house. The house he lives in is not owned by him the 2nd one is.
    Our landlord wants to start summer and activity lettings has asked us to move but no rush.
    Both on JSA. 2 kids.

Would we be reassessed if we started renting dad's house. And would we loose much?
    We would be paying same rent as now.
    Do you get reassessed when you need to change social welfare office?
    We are hoping this won't be the case as this house would be so much closer to real job possibilities.

Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You cannot rent from a family member if you are on rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

You cannot rent from a family member if you are on rent allowance.

Sorry

Not getting rent allowance or anything else except for flat rate for couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No problem with your jsa by moving into your dads property, though as poster pointed out above, you would have issues with rent allowance.

I don't agree that you are point blank barred from rent allowance when renting from a connected party. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong. Nevertheless, it is certainly 'messier'. It shouldn't be messier. But it is messier. That is the practical reality.

In any event, the bigger issue here is tax... make sure your father gets advice as applies to his own individual situation... I presume you will be paying less than market rent / what someone else would be charged. Note that in these circumstances revenue may impute a market rent. Your dad may have to pay tax, usc, prsi on that figure, even if that is not the rent you pay him.

Importantly, no one knows your dads circumstances, so what I'm saying is general. Do go get advice as better to be safe than sorry due to the automatic interest and penalties if it goes wrong.

Advertisement