Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Partner

Options
  • 03-01-2015 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Are study groups or study partners a good idea? I think it might be good to help me study :)

In 5th year hoping to get into the swing of things!

German
    Geography
    History
    Business
    Biology...if you want to know :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

The only thing I think it'd be really useful for is maths. Working together you might be able to solve the more difficult problems. Can't see much value beyond that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

It really depends on the person and how they study individually, personally when I study with other people I never get anything done but I know lots of people are the opposite and need people around them to help motivate them and prevent them becoming distracted. You need to try different study methods out yourself to see what works best for you

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think Emer has hit the nail on the head tbh ... for some they're an excuse to vacillate and chat and call it "study"; for others who are easily distracted on their own, pairing up with someone who is more focused and disciplined can be very beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you can find someone who will take it seriously, it can actually be extremely beneficial. You can fill in each others gaps in knowledge, share hints and tips for remembering things.

However, if I sat down with any of my friends to 'study' in 5th year, we would've just spent most of the time talking about beer, women and football and drawing knobs on each others books.

Edit: To think about it, we'd probably still do the same now. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teaching someone else how to do something is a great way to reinforce your own learning. I could see lots of plusses with a study partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

i wouldnt "study" together, I would purely only test one anothers knowledge, do it verbally with the other person looking at a marking scheme and its useful

Advertisement