Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub Purchase

Options
  • 03-01-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

So, having debated purchasing for some time, I'm off out tomorrow to buy a Sub. I posted a thread some time ago about a good homage and I purchased a Davosa Ternos which has exceeded my expectations. The great thing is it's my daily and has reinforced that the Sub is the watch for me. It has a cyclops.

I'm in a quandary re: date or no date, I'm not sure I want a date version of the Sub, I really like the clean look of the non date. So I'm looking for some opinions, is it a matter of taste and are there pro's and con's to date / no date.

I'm not going to flip the watch, so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

For me it would depend on when you will be wearing the watch. I find it annoying not having date function on a daily wearer (i.e. at work). I find it a bit of nuisance on an occasional watch which I have to set each time I put on, which is why I tend to wear my Steinhart O1VR during the week and my no date Stowa Flieger at the weekends.

I am also not a big fan of the cyclops. If I was getting a Sub I would be a bit torn between what I think is the better looking Non date versus the more functional date version - my preference would be to get the date and get someone to replace the crystal for a non cyclops one.

Edit: Changing the crystal would obviously make it a bit of a nuisance getting it serviced

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Thanks for the input, changing the crystal isn't something I'd want to be doing. I want to buy and enjoy tbh. And that's my dilemma. I guess I'll try both tomorrow and decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

Buying a sub on a Sunday? Don't know if you have the deal done or not but IMO if not you prob won't get the best deal as the "boss" won't be there to offer the best discount.

For ME its a no brainer, but as you say it's down to taste and preferences. The Sub date.

Are you buying new? If so its the sub C.

Price dif. Is about 700 between date or non date.

BTW way if you want an orginal Submariner that is the non date, it was produced first,known as the Submariner. The Sub date is know as the Submariner Date.

Rolex nerd stuff!

I am buying new, but I'm not expecting a deal given AD's aren't allowed to be very flexible. Cash wise, it's looking like 810 difference. Why C if new ?

• Advertisement

Etc wrote: »
    I am buying new, but I'm not expecting a deal given AD's aren't allowed to be very flexible. Cash wise, it's looking like 810 difference. Why C if new ?

7% discount should be achievable give the sales person as per my first post. C is referring to the Cermic bezel or a submariner Cermic, Sub C.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

C for ceramic?

C for ceramic?

See above!

Yes, new so Ceramic, so should 7% be realistic if buying locally ?

Yes, new so Ceramic, so should 7% be realistic if buying locally ?

I believe that's the maximum discount for know clients.

• Advertisement

Really good to know. And really interesting based on inquiries today. Pricing was "variable".

Really good to know. And really interesting based on inquiries today. Pricing was "variable".

That's just based on my experiences. I guess if your in and out, one gets to be known and you ll get some discount. BUT to me it's the experience of buying it. Researching and fitting it on, thinking about it and finally buying.

breanach78 wrote: »
    That's just based on my experiences. I guess if your in and out, one gets to be known and you ll get some discount. BUT to me it's the experience of buying it. Researching and fitting it in, thinking about it and finally buying.

Like everything else it's about credibility, I'm not tire kicking so we'll see how it goes.

My problem is still date / no date and the more I think about it, no date is winning.

Like everything else it's about credibility, I'm not tire kicking so we'll see how it goes.

My problem is still date / no date and the more I think about it, no date is winning.

Well then you'll own the Original Submariner. Both Super watches. I bought the Sub date but that said I can see the appeal of the Sub. It looks very clean and balanced. Good luck with it.

Well then you'll own the Original Submariner. Both Super watches. I bought the Sub date but that said I can see the appeal of the Sub. It looks very clean and balanced. Good luck with it.

Thanks, it'll all depend when I see both on my wrist !

Have we a new sub owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

For me, it was a Sub date, no question. The dealer told me max discount allowed by the brand was 9.5%, but see what you can do. I got 10%. Nice watch - best of luck with it. FdP

Thanks All for the input, yes proud owner of a non date Sub, I preferred the clean look when A/B'd on the wrist.

Must say I'm far more impressed with it on the wrist. Wears really well !

Thanks All for the input, yes proud owner of a non date Sub, I preferred the clean look when A/B'd on the wrist.

Must say I'm far more impressed with it on the wrist. Wears really well !

Ya they do wear well on the wrist for some reason. I have a few Breitlings and its nearly the opposite end of the spectrum from them.

Anyway, wear it well and in good health!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

You can't buy a sub without posting photos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

Either my monitor is broken or you didn't post pics.....

What % did you negotiate in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Pics!!!!! Now!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 eoin27

As the owner of a Sub C (non-date) Model No: 114060, welcome to the club. Its a wonderful piece. The reason I went for the non date was heritage: the original Rolex Submariner had no date and so did many of the subsequent models. The date complication was a later introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

Hi All
    Could anyone tell me what you should expect to pay for a new Rolex Submariner 114060 from an Irish jewellers? thewatchquote.com lists the retail price as 6000 euros, is that about right?

Take the list price and subtract 10% roughly. You'll get them cheaper online or not from authorised dealers. Retail is at least 7,100E I think.

I've used this crowd www.chrono-lounge.com in Germany with never a problem. They've a 2008 114060 for about 4,800E at the moment, and they'd probably throw in shipping.

Take the list price and subtract 10% roughly. You'll get them cheaper online or not from authorised dealers. Retail is at least 7,100E I think.

I've used this crowd www.chrono-lounge.com in Germany with never a problem. They've a 2008 114060 for about 4,800E at the moment, and they'd probably throw in shipping.

I'll check them out, thanks fulladapipes

Don't see how that could be as the new sub c "114060" was only introduced in 2012. You may be thinking of the 14060?

Regards the new price take about 1000/1200 of the date version.

Don't see how that could be as the new sub c "114060" was only introduced in 2012. You may be thinking of the 14060?

You're absolutely right - mea culpa.

Hi All
    Could anyone tell me what you should expect to pay for a new Rolex Submariner 114060 from an Irish jewellers? thewatchquote.com lists the retail price as 6000 euros, is that about right?

My initial quotes were €6250 and €6210 from an authorised dealer's branches. Once they know you're a legit buyer you can do 10%, but push, sometimes people get intimidated being in a posh shop and the sales people can be quite condescending, but cash is king at the end of the day.

In this environment, people who know their stuff and can talk with a degree of knowledge and confidence will do a good deal, do your research and if the shop is being hesitant, wait and they will do a deal. It is a buyers market.

• Advertisement

My initial quotes were €6250 and €6210 from an authorised dealer's branches. Once they know you're a legit buyer you can do 10%, but push, sometimes people get intimidated being in a posh shop and the sales people can be quite condescending, but cash is king at the end of the day.

In this environment, people who know their stuff and can talk with a degree of knowledge and confidence will do a good deal, do your research and if the shop is being hesitant, wait and they will do a deal. It is a buyers market.

Thanks Etc, Are those quotes after the 10% reduction has been taken off?

Advertisement