Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief Question

Options
  • 03-01-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I have a query regarding Rent Relief

We are looking to apply for rent relief. We are renting in this property since June 2013.

Previous to that we were renting, prior to 2010, but it was a casual arrangement, with no receipts etc.

Do we qualify for rent allowance? I have read previous threads and have read through the online form and can see where it states that anyone renting from 2011 is not eligible for relief, but just want to be totally sure that I have read it correctly.

From my understanding of it, we are not entitled to anything, but can anyone tell me for sure?

Are there any tax allowances we should be getting as tenants at all now or is that it?

Thanks
    Bananaleaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You seem to be mixing two different concepts.

People on low income are entitled to Rent Supplement (also known as Rent Allowance), a payment from social welfare to help cover your rent. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Separately, people who were renting before 2011 and who were paying PAYE / income tax were entitled to a tax credit to set against their rent. http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/rent-credit.html - "The credit for the years 2011 onwards applies to individuals who were renting a propety on 7 December 2010. No credit is due to individuals who began renting after 7 December 2010."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes, I was mixing up two different concepts, apologies, but you have still managed to answer my question.

I was referring to tax credit on PAYE. Okay, so even though we were renting before December 2010, we have no proof of this as it was a casual arrangement with a friend; no lease, no receipts.

Therefore, I imagine that means we are not eligible. No need to spend the 30 odd cent sending in the form so!!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'd still apply if I were you. You're able to claim credits retrospectively for the last four years, so it works out at quite a bit.

You only need to fill in the details of your current landlord on the form. They can ask for details of where you lived before that, but I've never heard of anyone actually being asked for that.

Advertisement