Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering Fluid

Options
  • 03-01-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Now I know sweet flip all about cars but the power steering fluid needs changing on my partners car. He went to halfords and the guy there knew sfa about it also and gave him the bother standard one they sell. He drives an '04 focus saloon.

Now I was getting my own car fixed in a garage and I asked the mechanic about it. He said to be very careful with the fluid as some cars need a specific type and he would probably be better to get it done in a garage.

Anyone know if that's the case or could it be done at home? He's not the best with car maintenance just to add :-p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Now I know sweet flip all about cars but the power steering fluid needs changing on my partners car. He went to halfords and the guy there knew sfa about it also and gave him the bother standard one they sell. He drives an '04 focus saloon.

Now I was getting my own car fixed in a garage and I asked the mechanic about it. He said to be very careful with the fluid as some cars need a specific type and he would probably be better to get it done in a garage.

Anyone know if that's the case or could it be done at home? He's not the best with car maintenance just to add :-p

Generally speaking no, if you were to change the fluid yourself you'd need to drain the system somehow, usually by disconnecting a pipe buried somewhere along the line, refitting the pipe, refilling it, bleeding the system, and god knows what else, I'm basing this off my own cars procedures having nearly 10 years between them and they have similar methods, I'd presume most cars go along the same lines, so to be honest I'd be sending it to a decent indy mechanic who knows his stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Why does the fluid need changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Well the fluid that's in it is as black as tar :-/

Also its like trying to drag 500 tonnes when turning the wheel (I am a girl but I physically could not turn the car when trying to do a 3 pointer, dp had to do it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Also its like trying to drag 500 tonnes when turning the wheel (I am a girl but I physically could not turn the car when trying to do a 3 pointer, dp had to do it!)

Get it to a mechanic. The car seems to have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it this bottle?
    It's rated for Ford so should be good.

DIY but maybe in your case go to a local mech, could be more issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

ATF is good enough for that but its likely your power steering pump is gone faulty from the fluid not being changed.

Advertisement