Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf or focus

Options
  • 03-01-2015 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hiya looking for some help with buying my first car. I'm 23 year old and currently doing 60k round trip for work. Looking for a 08 diesel for the cheap tax. I was strongly considering a focus or a golf. Budget around 8,000 If anyone has any recommendations about those cars or even other cars with same criteria.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Test drive both. People will give their opinions on what car they like but really, when you sit inside and drive either car, you will know yourself which is the car for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You will struggle to find anything diesel 2008 for €8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You won't get anything decent for that money. Especially in a Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

A decent €8k Focus should be manageable as long as you aren't too bothered about the spec.

An €8k Golf I would be a bit more dubious about.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

An alternative: Astra diesels are a lot cheaper than focus or Golf. The 5dr is a bit boring but the Astra 3dr sportshatch is popular. 1.7 diesel in these is a Japanese engine and reliable. The 1.9CDTi is very quick (if that's what you like). The 1.3 diesel is only ok, absolutely no power at low revs.

You could possibly get a 2010 astra 5dr for your budget at a stretch. 3drs are more expensive but 08 would be within budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

How much wud I want to be paying for a decent 08 golf then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah i remember being 23-24 and flipping the same coin. I went with the focus back then. Knowing what I now nearly 10 years later, I'd go for secret answer number 3 - Mazda 3 in fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

I'd estimate 9k for a 08 Golf with around 90k genuine miles. Something with 140k will be cheaper of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe its not so surprising the ford dealer took the 08 focus off me for 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I had a 07 focus now have a 07 golf. I much prefer the golf but I suppose its personal preference so test drive both. The focus make less money so where it may be possible to get a decent 08 focus for 8k you won't get a decent golf. However the golf holds its value better so you'd get it back when you go to sell it on. Also aim for mid spec in either it makes them a far nicer place to be comfortline golfs have almost everything you'd want in extras but are harder to get.

Advertisement