Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Deposit.

Options
  • 03-01-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

My friend back in Ireland is leaving her rented room having stayed there for 6 months. There was no contract in place. In fact, she has never met the landlord.
    The deposit of 350 EURO was given to the main tenant who is a man of approx. 45 yrs. This man has been a constant bully during my friends time at the house.

Tomorrow is the day she is due to leave the house and she wants her deposit back. The room is totally cleared out and no damage has been done whatsoever.

The guy holding her deposit says he wont be around to return deposit tomorrow and he will give it to her some other time. It's obvious he doesn't intend returning it. My questions are:
    1.Can she call the police on this guy next week if he doesn't return the cash?
    2.Would a lawyer be willing to back her up and send the guy a solicitors letter?
    3. Does anyone know of some way she can defend herself here?

Thnks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Can she contact the landlord? I would suggest that if this housemate insists on returning it "some other time" that he puts it in writing that her room passes inspection and that her deposit will be returned in full by xxx date.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

rawn wrote: »
    Can she contact the landlord? I would suggest that if this housemate insists on returning it "some other time" that he puts it in writing that her room passes inspection and that her deposit will be returned in full by xxx date.

Unfortunately she has no contact details for the property owner. That a good idea re. putting a deal in writing. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take photos of everything, not just the room, to demonstrate the condition it is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wexford96 wrote: »
    1.Can she call the police on this guy next week if he doesn't return the cash?

She can call if she wants, but there's no point. Irish police (called guards / gardai) won't do anything about a tenancy issue, because it's a civil matter.

And it's nothing to do with the landlord / property owner, either.

Probably she could find a lawyer to write a letter - but the cost may make it not worthwhile.

If she wants the deposit, she's probably going to have to hassle the main tenant until he gives it to her. This may be more likely to happen when someone else moves into the room.

Advertisement