Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fix it or Sell it?

Options
  • 03-01-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to hear your opinions on what would you do in my situation, I currently have a Renault Clio 1.2 from 00, NCT expired and I have been told that it needs some fixing to get through the NCT and it would cost me around 300Euro to do it.
    My doubt is, should I fix it or get rid of it considering it's 15 year old car and probably won't last me much longer?
    If I was to get new car I would have a budget of 2000Euro excluding Tax and insurance, I would be looking for something small (max 1.6). Something from 2006/7 would be nice I suppose.
    I live very close to work so I drive an average of 180 miles per month...
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

zEmo23 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to hear your opinions on what would you do in my situation, I currently have a Renault Clio 1.2 from 00, NCT expired and I have been told that it needs some fixing to get through the NCT and it would cost me around 300Euro to do it.
    Just check visually all lights, tyres, etc. and bring the car for the test and see what it fails on. Then get a quote or two preferably how much it will cost to fix the problems, if there are any. And take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No guarantee that a newer €2k car will not have bills soon down the road either and you could face the same decision sooner than you think. As said stick through the test then get a price on getting it passed before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

What kind of milage is on the clio?

300euro is not much....it would pull you through another 12months...maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would patch it up for now. The NCT will be valid for 12 months and I would use that time to get some cash together to buy something next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I would patch it up for now. The NCT will be valid for 12 months and I would use that time to get some cash together to buy something next year.

If the Clio is out of test for a few months the OP may not get 12 months test.
    I agree with you on getting some extra cash and with an increased budget OP you would have a better selection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

As said anything you buy for 2k will be very hit or miss in terms of reliability and could easily cost more than 300 to put right if something did go wrong. So for the sake of 300 Id fix up the clio and get the nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zEmo23

Thanks for all the replies!
    When I took the the car to the mechanic for a quick check thats what he told me, he said that there were a few things to fix and would cost in total around 300Euro, so if I go to the NCT now that bill can only increase if there's anything else to fix that the mechanic didnt spot...

You guys are saying for 2k it will be very hit and miss, in your experience how much do you think I'd need to spend to get something reliable? I am asking this because I could extend the budget to 3k if its really worth it...

I just don't want to spend the 300Euro now and in 2 months time have another bill of 300 or more...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Why not put the car through the NCT,see what the results are and then make up your mind ?. If it's gonna cost a fortune to repair so be it just scrap it,it'll only cost €55 to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't spend any money until you put it through the test first. It all it fails for is what your mechanic says then it will only cost you €300 to put it right. At the moment you are only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where are you based OP?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Personally if it was me I'd get the car tested, then see what it fails on if it only gonna cost around 300 I'd repair, buying another car could be asking for trouble,I'd stick with the Clio for the time, you could spend 10k on a car with a load of faults and end up costing more.

Advertisement