Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locked my keys in the boot

Options
  • 03-01-2015 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi just locked my keys in the boot of my 2002 Passat and you guessed it no spare key!

Can some one please off me a suggestion without breaking a window? Tryin to get through to my local garage men is a torture as it's Saturday evenin

Also how do you know if it's single or dead/double locked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

if there was an easy way to get in to the car without the key, all the thieves would know about it and all the VW Passats would have been stolen :P
    Usually the cheapest way to get in to a locked car is to smash one of the side windows (carefully) and then get the glass replaced, it's usually cheaper than getting somebody to open the car.
    only other way i can think of is remove rear plate and drill a hole 20mm in the center of boot and pull metal rod up :) boot open :)

Do you have windscreen cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Most lock smiths should be able to bend a door back and lever the door handle open. Do you know if it's double locked(ie. cannot be opened from the inside)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Is it possible to use the old wire coathanger trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Got out of the car one day, with engine running. Door closed and locks went down. I rang the assistance on my insurance and was sorted within the hour. Try them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Well folks the door handle wouldn't open when we got inside the car with our wire so we had to bust the lock in the drivers door after a lot of banging and twistin the windows went down and the doors opened and the ALARM went off, more importantly. I'm sure it'll cost me a few bob to get a new lock and a new key but at least it's handier than replacing a window and a lot less mess and hassle. Plus I'll have a spare key then aswell.

Cheers for all the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

For future references, if in this situation and forced to break a window, don't be fooled in thinking that the smallest rear quarter window will be the cheapest to replace. It's cheaper to replace one of the back/front windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The past few years ve been a little unlucky with front and rear windscreens .

The wife using audi to transport a huge metal filing Cabernet like its a bloody hearse . Taking out the back window.

Then just cracks on front window .

On all occasions the window was replaced for free next day . Zero hassle. I know if I ever lock my keys in car I won't be messing around with locks , side windows , coat hangers . It will be a accidental brick through the rear window .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

For me the next day was Sunday and I had a 200 mile journey to make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

For future references, if in this situation and forced to break a window, don't be fooled in thinking that the smallest rear quarter window will be the cheapest to replace. It's cheaper to replace one of the back/front windows.

A buddy of mine once locked himself out of his van.
    He phoned his windscreen guy and asked what was the cheapest glass panel on the van.
    The windscreen guy told him, heard a smashing noise in the background, and was told to supply and fit one as soon as he could. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement