Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what to do in university? PLEASE HELP!

Options
  • 03-01-2015 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I'm 17 and filling out my CAO at the moment. I definitely want to go to university but the problem is I don't know what to do.

What I'm most interested in is technology. I love editing videos and just working with a computer in general. But I'm not sure would doing video editing in university get me a job easily. I know there is plenty of freelance video editors out there but I prefer something like a full time job in a TV station or something.

If people have other course recommendations regarding technology that would be great.

Also, if there are people doing video editing as a career, information on what you do daily would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'm 17 and filling out my CAO at the moment. I definitely want to go to university but the problem is I don't know what to do.

What I'm most interested in is technology. I love editing videos and just working with a computer in general. But I'm not sure would doing video editing in university get me a job easily. I know there is plenty of freelance video editors out there but I prefer something like a full time job in a TV station or something.

If people have other course recommendations regarding technology that would be great.

Also, if there are people doing video editing as a career, information on what you do daily would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Would you consider something like multimedia or media communications, I know CIT run these two courses and they are very sought after but tough . Have a look at the CIT prospectus on the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

Would you consider something like multimedia or media communications, I know CIT run these two courses and they are very sought after but tough . Have a look at the CIT prospectus on the website

Hi, many thanks for your reply. I just had a look and multimedia sounds really interesting. It's a combination of everything I like so I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks so much for your help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

CIT isn't a university though

PeteFalk78 wrote: »

No but I meant any third level education really

CIT will be a "Technological University" in the next year or two, heard that from the top brass out there myself, the review process has gone really well for them so far.

• Advertisement

Hi, many thanks for your reply. I just had a look and multimedia sounds really interesting. It's a combination of everything I like so I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks so much for your help. :)
    If you have any questions about the campus etc, just ask, i have been studying there the last few years.

Like most courses you will get out of it , what effort you put into it. If you just drift along barely passing everything you will be bottom of the pile when it comes to jobs at the end. If you excel and distinguish yourself, there are plenty of companies who are in contact with the lecturers and ask about the best students finishing each year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

We have a special forum for pedants! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

We have a special forum for pedants! ;)

OP specified a university. Therefore nothing pedantic about what I said. Off to Google for you chap.

If you have any questions about the campus etc, just ask, i have been studying there the last few years.

Like most courses you will get out of it , what effort you put into it. If you just drift along barely passing everything you will be bottom of the pile when it comes to jobs at the end. If you excel and distinguish yourself, there are plenty of companies who are in contact with the lecturers and ask about the best students finishing each year.

Do you know if the multimedia classes are normally full or is the demand relatively low? And would you say the atmosphere of the campus is good in general?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OP specified a university. Therefore nothing pedantic about what I said. Off to Google for you chap.
    I don't think you've quite understood the purpose or tone of this forum tbh.

Off to Banville for you chap.

• Advertisement

Do you know if the multimedia classes are normally full or is the demand relatively low? And would you say the atmosphere of the campus is good in general?
    They are normally full in first year, the numbers are limited as many of the classes require a computer to each person with specific software etc. From talking to people who have done the course, they found it intensive, lots of projects plenty of assignments throughout the year.

It is not a course for someone who likes to do the bare minimum, to excel in this course you need to be willing to work alot outside of class hours. It is however a very rewarding course as the content can be very interesting. However you must learn to accept that there will always be one or two modules that you might not like but you just need to accept that and work hard in them anyway.

The atmosphere around the campus is good, the Students Union is quite active in organising events. However the clubs and the societies are the best way to make friends etc outside of class time, and overall provide a great alternative to the drinking most nights culture that some fall into.

The atmosphere is good, if you are seriously considering it as an option it may be worth a visit, there is plenty of student accommodation surrounding the campus and there are frequent buses that can bring you to the city center and back out.

Advertisement