Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsafe property

Options
  • 02-01-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Just wondering has anyone any experience with the procedure when there is an unsafe/substandard property.
    I know the council will do an inspection and will fail the house over 7 different things ( yep its really a kip now think slumlord standard).
    Im having trouble finding a new place at a price i can afford Im looking at sharing btw and some of the prices out there are mindblowing 850 per month to share a house is crazy! so while im working on a long term paln im wondering would it be worth my while to stay below the radar or report the landlord and possibly have the council say its unsafe to live here and i must move immedietly is that what happens when the building fails?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Where are you looking to live? A friend is in the process of moving to North County Dublin. He got a room share in a very nice house for E400. And if I were you, I'd be looking to leave ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

im in west dublin at the moment sen a few decent places but as soon as i rant they were long gone buut some of the prices are crazy I am looking to go asap as the house is now affecting my health here is just a few of the marvels of renting

Roof leaking in several places
    only one solid fuel stove in operable condition but installed in contravention to building regs re flues so when you open the door smoke billows out and you have to open the front door to exahust (whats the point in even lighting it!!)
    electrics in the bathroom sockets there for a washing maching light is of the low hanging type (not a recessed fitting i can touch it from in the shower) also live cable for a hot water heater is tucked into a crack in the wall (yep there is no hot water in the bathroom!!)
    landlords brother dumped 4 tons of household wast at rear of property there is an acre of land there last august and never came back to clean up rats everywhere (as a side not he also slept rough outside the house quite recently!! )
    flooding ok I know thats not the ll fault but **** happens
    old sash windows that let in cold they might aswell be open!
    mouldy back bedroom i was supposed to rent that room to a friend but couldnt even consider it after i found this i since sorted it at a significant cost to myself.
    asbestos gutter no problem there right... except its disintegrating
    the ll is a complete moron he has no clue it was a case of very cheap rent in exchange for looking after the place but after a year here ive never been more depressed in my life if I say x needs to be done he just says "i dont have the money for that" he even put the rent up once in march then tried to put it up again in october i told him that was illegal so he just said ok then we will start from april then!! no written notice or anything
    Id love to scan the lease he gave me as it is completly barmy nearly as bad as my spelling!!!

If the house is as bad as you say, then most of the problems you've outlined should have been obvious. In that case, why on earth did you take it?

And have you arranged for the council to inspect it yet? That should be done as a matter of urgency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

...__... wrote: »
    im in west dublin at the moment sen a few decent places but as soon as i rant they were long gone buut some of the prices are crazy I am looking to go asap as the house is now affecting my health here is just a few of the marvels of renting

Roof leaking in several places
    only one solid fuel stove in operable condition but installed in contravention to building regs re flues so when you open the door smoke billows out and you have to open the front door to exahust (whats the point in even lighting it!!)
    electrics in the bathroom sockets there for a washing maching light is of the low hanging type (not a recessed fitting i can touch it from in the shower) also live cable for a hot water heater is tucked into a crack in the wall (yep there is no hot water in the bathroom!!)
    landlords brother dumped 4 tons of household wast at rear of property there is an acre of land there last august and never came back to clean up rats everywhere (as a side not he also slept rough outside the house quite recently!! )
    flooding ok I know thats not the ll fault but **** happens
    old sash windows that let in cold they might aswell be open!
    mouldy back bedroom i was supposed to rent that room to a friend but couldnt even consider it after i found this i since sorted it at a significant cost to myself.
    asbestos gutter no problem there right... except its disintegrating
    the ll is a complete moron he has no clue it was a case of very cheap rent in exchange for looking after the place but after a year here ive never been more depressed in my life if I say x needs to be done he just says "i dont have the money for that" he even put the rent up once in march then tried to put it up again in october i told him that was illegal so he just said ok then we will start from april then!! no written notice or anything
    Id love to scan the lease he gave me as it is completly barmy nearly as bad as my spelling!!!

Why ever did you go and live in this place????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What are you hoping for here OP? The Council will either seem it unsafe and order vacation, or order him to upgrade to standard, which it sounds like he hasn't the cash to do.
    There is no solution whereby he fixes everything, and you remain at cheap rent.
    The place sounds a hovel, and unsafe and I would seek to move if I were you, even if that means paying higher rent.

• Advertisement

I was just wondering on the procedure the council have ie after they send an enforcement letter.

As to the reason I moved in It sits on 2 acres of mature land that ia very appealing I have pets and it was all I could afford after my previous ll went bust. Im working on a long term solution now but the plan was to try and save for my own place not all of these things were obvious from the start I mean you dont notice a leaky roof on a summers day!!

I was just wondering on the procedure the council have ie after they send an enforcement letter.

As to the reason I moved in It sits on 2 acres of mature land that ia very appealing I have pets and it was all I could afford after my previous ll went bust. Im working on a long term solution now but the plan was to try and save for my own place not all of these things were obvious from the start I mean you dont notice a leaky roof on a summers day!!

Guess you will need to get rid of the pets and find yourself a warm dry comfortable place to live.

Most landlords have a " no pets " clause in leases , when it comes to mainstream properties.

Look after yourself .
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP have a look at the North Circular Road and half of Drumcondra. Dublin city council deceide to inspect these areas to see if the houses were to standard. According to the papers 90% of the houses failed the minimum standards. But instead of LL improving the houses and letting them again. The LLs sold their houses. A lot of the NCR is for sale or sold in the last few years. Most LLs are getting out of the industry.

OP if I was your LL. I would sell the place before I would pay for a ton of renovations. As I would get a little more rent. But also have to pay LPT, PRTB Fees, the **** load of taxes increases

OP - You CAN find a property that will allow you to have pets. I'd offer a pet deposit up front - say about 2 months rent.

Can you also try to get something unfurnished? Tough, I know but if you cast your net wide enough, you might get somewhere...

Im actually looking at a mobile home on a friends land that would let me save a deposit quicker and open a lot of options
    I wouldnt say he would sell it what I am really worried is I will leave and he will get some one else in who wont be so aware of the issues. god forbid a couple with childreen etc move in.
    Hopefully in the next week with xmas being over the market will open back up again it was very slow recently.

• Advertisement

Im actually looking at a mobile home on a friends land that would let me save a deposit quicker and open a lot of options
    I wouldnt say he would sell it what I am really worried is I will leave and he will get some one else in who wont be so aware of the issues. god forbid a couple with childreen etc move in.
    Hopefully in the next week with xmas being over the market will open back up again it was very slow recently.

Listen friend, get out of there as fast as you can . You owe it to yourself to protect your health. Don't worry about others who may come after you.Be kind to yourself and have a better 2015!

Advertisement