Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess the cause of my e46 diff/drive shaft knocking sound!

Options
  • 02-01-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Howdy

My e46 320d has developed a knocking noise from the rear diff area. Initially my mechanic thought it was the doughnut / universal joint / guibo (No.2) and the center mount support bearing (No. 7) so they were changed. It’s improved a bit (cant feel the knock off the drive shaft tunnel now) but theres still a slight knocking sound when pulling away in first or accelerating out of a turn in second. From 3rd up it drives fine. My indy told me he couldn’t see anything else without removing lots of covers or the diff to inspect the rest.

Could it be the rear center mount bearing (No.14) or diff mounts or something else?

154.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Get the rear subframe checked for cracks. I had a knock, the subframe was torn away from the chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Get the rear subframe checked for cracks. I had a knock, the subframe was torn away from the chassis.

cheers, can i check it from inside the boot under the spare wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Check the diff bushings also

Advertisement