Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticking caliper - price sound right?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Brought my car (2006 golf mk 5) for annual service at an Atlas service centre. They're saying the rear driver side brake caliper is sticking/seizing, and needs to be replaced. The handbrake cable is part of the issue too apparently. The list of work/parts I was given to be done is as follows. These prices include fitting.

rear discs - 117
    rear pads - 85
    driver side rear caliper -185
    handbrake cables - 162

So that's 549. Does this sound realistic, that handbrake cables/caliper would need replacing , and at those costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Sounds like they dont know whats wrong and replacing everything.
    Bring it to a decent independant who will spend time diagnosing it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Think I'll bring it to an independent alright. Would you mention the list of stuff the other crowd suggested replacing,or just ask him to have a look over the brakes and see if he picks it up.

Don't feel as if brakes are sticking at all, not noticing any vibration in steering or car drifting to one side

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

The price for the discs and pads IMO is very expensive

bring the car to a good independent Garage and get their opinion

Any recommendations for a good vw independent for a second opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

The golf MK5 give alot of bother with rear calipers.I would replace the rear caliper for a reconditioned one from a motor factors getting an independent to do it and take it from there.Pads normally need to be changed after a sticking caliper so this is fair enough unless the pads were on the metal i wouldnt bother doing the discs and the handrbrake cables needing to be replaced is BS in my opinion .What part of the country are you in ?

• Advertisement

In Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Price for discs and pads sound about right, maybe a tad on the high side but within reason.if their using good quality bits. Calipers on the rear of vag product can be troublesome but it sounds like the piston is good but the handbrake leaver is sticky as they want to replace the cable too. These can be freed up easily enough.
    If your in doubt don't go ahead with the work and get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

From my experience with golfs the common fault is it's the sliders in the caliper are seized.
    Can be knocked out greased up and put back in. Take ten mins on each caliper and save money on caliper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The price of the handbrake cables look mental to be honest.

Everything else looks on the high end of the scale considering it's probably generic parts you'll be getting.

The real saving to be made would be in getting the problem properly diagnosed, thus only replacing what is necessary.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like my suspicions were correct. Need a good independent vw garage now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I have the same issue on a 2007 Golf. I was rotating tyres at xmas and it took a little force to turn the drivers side rear. Passenger rear was much freer.

I've read that the handbrake cable might need to be loosened....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

VW main dealer will change rear pads & discs for €3 less than Atlas. I'd doubt if Atlas use oe parts (if that bothers you).

Guaranteed Service. Price

Ultimate Service* €249
    Classic Service* €149
    Wiper Blade Replacement €49
    Replace Air Filter €35
    Replace Brake Fluid €49
    Replace Front Brake Discs & Pads €249
    Replace Front Brake Pads €119
    Replace Fuel Filter €55
    Replace Pollen Filter €25
    Replace Rear Brake Discs and Pads €199
    Replace Rear Brake Pads €99
    Replace Rear Brake Shoes €175
    Replace Spark Plugs €65
    Replace Timing Belt With Water Pump* €399

*Includes complimentary Roadside Assistance for 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Replace Timing Belt With Water Pump* €399

*Includes complimentary Roadside Assistance for 12 months.

I reckon you'd need the Roadside Assistance if they replaced the Timing Belt with a Water Pump.

Badum-tish... Wacka wacka wacka....

CHI_03_RK0296_01_P.JPG

Advertisement