Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car

Options
  • 02-01-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Have many people brought in their current car from England, changing to people carrier and am thinking about bringing one in from uk, the price saving is hard to resist ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes. Didn't save anything but got much better spec. That was when the exchange rate was more favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Brought in my last 3 from the UK.
    Latest import was a 2008 Prius T-Spirit (79,000miles) last May. €7,000 inc Flight over,Train to Dealer, Petrol, Lunch money, Ferry....etc. Couldn't get one here for less than €8,500 (apart from 1 repaired economic write-off !!!) at the time especially as I wanted Leather.

Brought in a Picasso Hdi a few years ago (exchange rate was a bit better then). Saved over €2,500, despite massive haggling here.

Do a HPI check (plenty of cheaper companies do the same thing, just used HPI as an example) and also try to get something with a Full Service History...shouldn't be a problem on most UK cars. I personally wouldn't have 100% faith in a UK Service History, but a lack of it would be more of a concern.
    Also any haggling will have to be done over the phone before you go, as once you're there the seller will know that you're fairly committed and you will probably have Ferry etc booked.
    Also check out the VRT payable on a January model compared to a May/June one. It's often cheaper to VRT the later one.....something to do with the way the VRT calculator works :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

I have considered in the past but opted to go to Northern Ireland both times due to lack of time to travel over.

Sterling was a lot weaker than now both times.

First time I went for a higher spec car tahn available here and probably saved €2000ish all considered.

Second time, saved over €7000 including VRT etc, on a 2008 Ford Focus compared to a main Ford Dealer in Republic less than an hour away.

If you are able to go England I'm sure you'll find there are better savings and more choice but I've found NI to be convenient and had what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I am looking at grand Picasso and the savings is in the region of 3.5k on current exchange rate and vrt calculator, now I have to add back flights, ferry, diesel lunch etc but I have a place to stay in London , I bought from car giant 8 years ago when I lived in London and had no complaints,

I am finding very little wiggle room with dealers here who seem to think that an English import is a crock if muck and their 6 month guarantee is priceless ,

It's just the hassle of going over but I have good people who could check the car out for me and seal the deal before I fly over

I think if me mad not to go this route but just want to hear people's opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

I am looking at grand Picasso and the savings is in the region of 3.5k on current exchange rate and vrt calculator, now I have to add back flights, ferry, diesel lunch etc but I have a place to stay in London , I bought from car giant 8 years ago when I lived in London and had no complaints,

I am finding very little wiggle room with dealers here who seem to think that an English import is a crock if muck and their 6 month guarantee is priceless ,

It's just the hassle of going over but I have good people who could check the car out for me and seal the deal before I fly over

I think if me mad not to go this route but just want to hear people's opinions

Not sure on prices of prices on the Grand Picasso here or England, but here are ones on Used Cars NI;
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/search_results.php?make=4&model=106634450&search_type=1&age_from=0&age_to=0&fuel_type=0&keywords=&location[]=-1&location[]=85&location[]=86&location[]=87&location[]=88&location[]=89&location[]=90&location[]=117&location[]=130&mileage_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&search=1&trans_type=0&user_type=0&grtkey=1420231899_d6b6d1e09a0b09a6973ab21a2b309f9f

Autotrader.co.uk and use a Belfast postcode should bring up most of NI Cars on the site either.

I find NI to be hassle free due to lack of travel as live near to the border but if you are getting better deals in England with all costs considered it may be your best bet.

Best of Luck whatever you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'll be honest, I've spent all day looking at cars in the UK because I'm after something specific and there's none available in Ireland. But I ain't seen no value yet, anything that's caught my eye for an 11 or 12 model has been crazy money compared to what they are new both here and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Brought the last two in from the north. As people are saying the exchange rate was better then. I haven't done it through the NCT yet, as in the vrt bit, I believe they are a bit more on the ball in relation to extras than the auld ones used to be in the vrt offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Definitely no value in bringing a one year old car back from UK mainland (which is what i am looking for )but the spec and engine choice makes me think its a no brainer if you want something nice in your driveway. I think Sterling is projected to get stronger over the course of the year.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

kefir32 wrote: »
    Definitely no value in bringing a one year old car back from UK mainland (which is what i am looking for )but the spec and engine choice makes me think its a no brainer if you want something nice in your driveway. I think Sterling is projected to get stronger over the course of the year.:mad:

I am looking at 3 year old min, and will buy in next month, from looking at moment there are good savings on the 11-12 range models

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I would barely even look at Irish cars any more to be honest with you. Have brought in a few from the UK, with no problems. A few of my friends have also.

Some cars hold their value well, such as a Golf and are priced strongly in the UK as well as here. A Citroen will offer better savings.

Regarding warranty, it is a no brainer if you buy from a Citroen dealer and get the Citroen warranty which applies in NI also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement