Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop display furniture

Options
  • 02-01-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, we recently purchased a new set of bunk beds from a furniture store & were told they'd come flat pack. No problem there! Fast forward to today when the beds arrived & it turns out the shop sent us the display set! It came half assembled (badly, might I add) with no instructions & some damage done as a result of how it was put together.

Am I right in thinking a shop legally can't sell you ' new furniture' then go ahead & send you out the display model without telling you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,076 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What you're looking at here is something not being sold as described - you were buying new furniture, you've not got new furniture. That's the tack to take in attempting to make them either replace it, refund you or give you a partial refund while keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vanessa Shanessa Jenkins

Thanks a mill for that....the sales assistant tried to fob us off by saying 'sure it was only put on the shop floor on the 21st December, it is a new bed' !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thanks a mill for that....the sales assistant tried to fob us off by saying 'sure it was only put on the shop floor on the 21st December, it is a new bed' !

Don't let them fob you off, it clearly isn't a new bed. I can't believe a company would expect you to accept goods like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Don't let them fob you off, it clearly isn't a new bed. I can't believe a company would expect you to accept goods like that.

It may be "end of line" goods, the display being the last unit. Before you hand it back, check how much it will cost you to buy that item elsewhere or how much that particular shop will be selling the new stock at. It could cost you more to buy an alternative.

This could work to your advantage, you could go into the shop, initially don't start shouting about your consumer rights, explain your surprise at receiving the display unit and the marks on it and tell them that you would not have been inclined to pay full price for a display/used unit. Ask them if you can have a new unit as that is what you paid for. You may find that if you are happy to retain the unit delivered, they may offer you a partial refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A partial refund is only of use if you are willing to accept a used and marked product. Personally no amount of refund would be acceptable if I wanted an item in perfect condition.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    It may be "end of line" goods, the display being the last unit.

I know what you are saying here, but the point is the op didn't buy an end of line display unit. They bought a new bed which they were told would be flat packed. The goods were not as described. They should get what they asked and paid for, not something the shop decided to give them instead.

A partial refund is only of use if you are willing to accept a used and marked product. Personally no amount of refund would be acceptable if I wanted an item in perfect condition.

Hey if you want a perfect product, bring it back. Anyone with kids knows that bedroom furniture like bunk beds looks perfect the day it goes in, and never again once the kids start jumping on. If I paid €200 for it and found out I couldn't buy it anywhere else for less than €300, I think I'd put up with a few scratches and a partial refund.

I know what you are saying here, but the point is the op didn't buy an end of line display unit. They bought a new bed which they were told would be flat packed. The goods were not as described. They should get what they asked and paid for, not something the shop decided to give them instead.

It's a lot easier for a shop to deliver a flat packed unit than a partially assembled one, that is why I suspect they got the last (display) one.

If OP wants new ones, bring em back but I'm just saying OP may have room to negotiate a partial refund if he/she can put up with a few scratches.

davo10 wrote: »
    It's a lot easier for a shop to deliver a flat packed unit than a partially assembled one, that is why I suspect they got the last (display) one.

If OP wants new ones, bring em back but I'm just saying OP may have room to negotiate a partial refund if he/she can put up with a few scratches.

I think you are missing the point here. The op didn't ask could they get a few quid off. They asked is the shop allowed do this and the answer is no they aren't. The op wants a new bed, flat packed as discussed.

I think you are missing the point here. The op didn't ask could they get a few quid off. They asked is the shop allowed do this and the answer is no they aren't. The op wants a new bed, flat packed as discussed.

I'm not missing the point, the OP did not get what he/she paid for, what I am pointing out is that she should check if it is going to cost more to buy a flat packed one there or somewhere else if they do return her money to her, or if she considered accepting the scratches and asking for a partial refund. Again, kids furniture stays scratch free for maybe a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Vanessa Shanessa Jenkins

Thanks for all the replies :-)

We're not happy to keep the beds as whoever put them together made a haimes of it & some of the timber is damaged, beyond a couple of scratches. The timber on one of the guard rails is spilt & I'm not prepared to take a chance on my child falling against that & it completely breaking & the child ending up on the floor!

It was this split actually that we recognised, having seen it on the display in the shop. Thing is, had the shop assistant said 'this is the actual bed you'll be getting' while we were in the showroom we'd have said no thanks.

I've looked into buying it elsewhere & can do so for an additional €20 so will do that once we (hopefully) get a refund....Apparently they're sending a carpenter to look at it tomorrow. He'll be going back with it!!

Thanks again for the replies :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,379 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Apparently they're sending a carpenter to look at it tomorrow. He'll be going back with it!!

That might be wishful thinking, you're assuming that (1) the carpenter is an employee of the store and (2) he will have a van big enough to take it away.

You should have refused to accept the delivery when you saw that they were sending a partly-assembled unit.

Advertisement