Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building your own furniture - cost saving?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I have always enjoyed woodworking through school and occasions thereafter when ever i've had an opportunity. I've built up a small collection of tools over the past few years, including a table saw, mitre saw and router.

Cost of tools and time aside and just factoring in the cost of lumber and finishing products like oils stains and varnishes, is it cheaper to build your own furniture rather than buy it ready made?

Would be interested to find out your opinions

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon auctions for used furniture are probably the cheapest way to go. Often pieces are cheaper than the wood to make them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

depends what your after. a lot of furniture cant be produced at what it can be bought at due to imports but your limited to set sizes and designs. furniture making nowadays is about what cant be bought of the shelf or someone having appreciation for an individual piece or design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Furniture is a curious product that is still relatively expensive. For instance you can buy a flat screen TV for say 350 but that would only get you a rubbish small table.
    Looking around the furniture shops I see nothing that does not originate in the 'Far East' - Ikea is the only exception.
    However we don't make furniture just to save money, I think we make it because we know its good, its custom made to our needs and its very fulfilling.
    Kifi, I would suggest you get a planer/ thicknesser which will liberate you from pre-cut dimensions and you have the basis for a nice workshop !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

making your own furniture will cost you more in most cases.
    it is a hobby that is a great outlet for one's creative abilities.

for inspiration call into the likes of Abbey Woods in Baldoyle, see what they have in stock.

I suggest you get a 300mm portable thicknesser, it takes up minimal space.
    and buy two good blades for your saw a rip and a cross cut. and look up how to correctly set your saw up. I could go on haha.

My first big project was a complex and large bed with veneering, steam bending etc etc. then the effing headboard wouldn't fit up the stairs, I had to saw the two legs off!

Advertisement