Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm - who is responsible?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

We moved in to a rented property last year. Last month we got that "Battery Error" fault on the alarm & then last night the alarm started beeping and another error "Add & ID: Keypad" appeared which won't allow us to put on the alarm.

I messaged the mgmt company to be told that the landlord will pay for half the cost of the alarm fixing & feels that is fair as he is not required to have an alarm on the house.

I stated that not all houses have dishwashers but when one is supplied then it falls on the landlord to maintain & fix as long as it was not damage caused by us.

Is it right to have to pay half for the alarm repairs?

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's solely the landlord's responsibility I would imagine - it's their property after all. It's also quite possible that their property insurance might be dependent on there being a functioning alarm system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No. The alarm was existing in the house, so the LL pays for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jack1000

I would agree that it is the landlords responsibility to repair it. You rented the property with a working alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

That was my understanding too.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Agreed. As a landlord I would accept it as my responsibility 100%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If its still beeping- get the landlord's permission to disconnect it temporarily- you'll go insane otherwise. The battery in it typically lasts 8-10 years, its quite like a motorcycle battery, and it gets constantly trickle charged in-situ.

Clarify with the landlord what they are proposing to do first though.........

Also- its a tax deductible expense for the landlord- so they are being petty by not just paying the damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

If its still beeping- get the landlord's permission to disconnect it temporarily- you'll go insane otherwise. The battery in it typically lasts 8-10 years, its quite like a motorcycle battery, and it gets constantly trickle charged in-situ.

Clarify with the landlord what they are proposing to do first though.........

Also- its a tax deductible expense for the landlord- so they are being petty by not just paying the damn thing.

Disconnecting may set the bell off, so best to have the landlord pay for a technician to fix it or disconnect it either way.

Regards paying half, i had a ll who tried this with me once. They wanted me to pay half and they would claim the full cost against tax thereby getting all repairs technically for free. We didn't agree on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

We're having exactly the same problem atm. Our landlord had it serviced just after we moved in and it is saying battery low, call maintenance, not sure what the hell is wrong with it! It is definitely landlord responsibility.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

PLL wrote: »
    We're having exactly the same problem atm. Our landlord had it serviced just after we moved in and it is saying battery low, call maintenance, not sure what the hell is wrong with it! It is definitely landlord responsibility.

Servicing it- would not normally include replacing the battery- the battery has an 8-10 year life span. Normally there is a pattern to the pips emitted by the box- which indicates the issue (or indeed- you may have an LCD readout which tells you plainly what the problem is). One way or the other- it needs to be serviced again- the battery does not tend to be a user replaceable accessory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Op same thing happened to me a few years ago. The back up battery for when the electricity goes has run out and needs to be replaced. I called around a few companies and found someone to fit it for €60 which wasn't too bad. Don't remove the battery yourself as other posters have said, you need engineers codes etc in order to do this. and yes the land lord should pay. Perhaps if you do the ground work and get a reasonable price (not that you should have to) then the landlord might be more amenable to changing it. The beeping noises are very annoying when trying to sleep etc so the sooner the better it's sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement