Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Load Ratings on tyres

Options
  • 02-01-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

What difference do they actually make in respect to choosing a new tyre?

The ratings are here if you want to see.

4 x 94 rated tyres can carry a 2680 Kg car. Yet I was told by a tyre seller that I would need 97 or 98 rated tyres 'because I drive a heavy diesel' (Alfa 159 - 1585 Kg) and that lower weight tyres are for petrol cars (the petrol model weighs a whole 10 Kg less!)

Yet the price of tyres are significantly more in the higher weight ratings so I don't really see the point. I smell BS to be honest.

Also, for normal driving (up to 130kph, say) why buy speed ratings of Y (up to 300 kph) instead of V (up to 240 kph)?
    Wouldn't a 94V tyre be every bit as suitable for use as a 98Y, and yet cost €40-50 less per tyre (Continental ContiSportContact 3 on Oponeo).

I suppose the heavier load tyre will have a stiffer sidewall, but the compound, tread and grip should all be identical. Can someone explain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

Look up the manufacturer's spec for tyres on your model. I would be inclined to use that as the minimum rating. Any higher rating over spec is an extra safety margin.

Using below spec tyres might go against you in an insurance claim, not to mention possibly contributing to an accident.

Also, your diesel model might be rated for a heavier towing capacity or payload than the petrol equivalent, hence the need for higher rated tyres.

Advertisement