Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a quick fix for headlight bracket

Options
  • 02-01-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Only realised today , that there is a small crack on the bracket for the driver side headlight with my 2008 Mondeo.

Had a light fender bender a few months ago with no damage done (that i thought!) , must have been from that.

Its happened on a previous car i had, and with my NCT coming up i need to get it sorted. The mechanic i had for the older car, used a epoxy that hardened and passed with no problems.

I want to do the same with my current car, but i dont have the opportunity to get to a garage. Can someone recommend where i can purchase this kind of epoxy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Only realised today , that there is a small crack on the bracket for the driver side headlight with my 2008 Mondeo.

Had a light fender bender a few months ago with no damage done (that i thought!) , must have been from that.

Its happened on a previous car i had, and with my NCT coming up i need to get it sorted. The mechanic i had for the older car, used a epoxy that hardened and passed with no problems.

I want to do the same with my current car, but i dont have the opportunity to get to a garage. Can someone recommend where i can purchase this kind of epoxy?
    B &Q should have epoxy, woodies too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cletus wrote: »
    B &Q should have epoxy, woodies too
    Dealz have it for 1.49.
    You can also get putty type epoxies that you knead by hand and then apply to a clean surface, roughen the surface as well before you apply the epoxy as it helps with adhesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any car shop or decent hardware will have 2 part epoxy glue, which will bond very well. I wouldn't touch the epoxy from Dealz based on prior experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any car shop or decent hardware will have 2 part epoxy glue, which will bond very well. I wouldn't touch the epoxy from Dealz based on prior experience with it.
    Do tell? I have some but haven't used it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Do tell? I have some but haven't used it yet.

Tried bonding plastic on a car, stuff just run out and set all over the bumper, made a terrible mess.

I'm sure they sell different epoxys, so some might be ok, but this was a runny as hell.

Tried bonding plastic on a car, stuff just run out and set all over the bumper, made a terrible mess.

I'm sure they sell different epoxys, so some might be ok, but this was a runny as hell.
    It is a liquid epoxy though, I have set epoxy in the past using a heat lamp, it works well in cold temps like now.
    Also if you can bond some kind of reinforcement in the epoxy it helps to hold it in place, Chopped strand fibreglass works well.

Advertisement