Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

naked

Options
  • 02-01-2015 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing this when I was younger and being really embarrassed by all the sex bits, but still came away feeling like I'd just witnessed something important.
    Just recently it was on film 4 so I recorded and watched it again, including the bit with mike Leigh talking about it at the start
    It came back on my radar again after hearing it referenced in an interview with NY director josh safdie...love, love, LOVED 'The Pleasure Of Being Robbed' so I decided to pay it a visit again.

It affects me on so many levels.
    First of all, and most simply of all ,I could have been mates with any of those type of characters about 20 years ago
    Secondly, the main character is someone I want to hate and project all my man-hating bits onto...but I can't help but like him, despite the fact that he's a rapist and, a misogynist.
    I can only say this happens only when art is good and above are only a couple of the many issues the film raises and the many facets of the film.
    Thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Would really love to hear some details about how the script developed* from Leigh and Thewlis. I know Leigh's films generally aren't super cheery or anything, but Naked's a totally different thing, really angry and in dark sleepy nightmare of a world.
    Really powerful film with Thewlis knocking it out of the park, the guy absolutely consumes the film in the very best way. Absolutely awful character with just enough humanity and self awareness to leave you at times almost on his side when it's put against the overall surroundings.

Only real weakness was Greg Cruttwell imo, he just wasn't good enough of an actor to handle the colossal levels of awfulness I felt that character needed/
    lolo62 wrote: »
    despite the fact that he's a rapist
    Hate that I'm wandering myself into this discussion, but isn't that supposed to be somewhat ambiguous? as in, it sounds like she may be initially consenting so it gets a bit blurry as to what point his being overly aggressive switches to him raping. The ambiguity seems a bit important when it comes to comparing him to Cruttwell later on
    . http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/aug/15/mikeleigh

Ooooooh, I just found this http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/18/how-we-made-naked

*(Mike Leigh usually develops the scripts with the cast, beginning with only vague ideas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Would really love to hear some details about how the script developed* from Leigh and Thewlis. I know Leigh's films generally aren't super cheery or anything, but Naked's a totally different thing, really angry and in dark sleepy nightmare of a world.
    Really powerful film with Thewlis knocking it out of the park, the guy absolutely consumes the film in the very best way. Absolutely awful character with just enough humanity and self awareness to leave you at times almost on his side when it's put against the overall surroundings.

Only real weakness was Greg Cruttwell imo, he just wasn't good enough of an actor to handle the colossal levels of awfulness I felt that character needed/

Hate that I'm wandering myself into this discussion, but isn't that supposed to be somewhat ambiguous? as in, it sounds like she may be initially consenting so it gets a bit blurry as to what point his being overly aggressive switches to him raping. The ambiguity seems a bit important when it comes to comparing him to Cruttwell later on
    . http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/aug/15/mikeleigh

Ooooooh, I just found this http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/18/how-we-made-naked

*(Mike Leigh usually develops the scripts with the cast, beginning with only vague ideas)

Absolutely agree with you on Crutwells acting...it's like he read 'how to play a villain 101' so bad..

I'm glad you wandered there actually..I didn't know quite how to articulate what you just did so thanks for that and I agree. It does raise the question though..at what point is/was consent withdrawn. Don't think we need to go any further into it though, but it does open a whole can of worms.
    Mike Leigh was defensive when presented with the idea the movie was about misogyny..he said it's about the kind of toxic relationships both men and women engage in, and that self loathing is what's at the heart of their behaviours . I totally get that now,I guess being older and wiser and able to dig deeper, but it's definitely one to watch with an open mind.

In relation to the script Leigh said there was a lot of improvisation which makes some of the dialogue, particularly the scenes with the security guard, seem even more epic. I actually paused it a couple of times just to sit and digest some of the stuff Thewlis was coming out with...
    It makes you wonder what happened to him after career wise. I suppose parts (and movies) like that are once in a lifetime kind of thing
    I feel like a lot films try to do something similar but don't get anywhere close and although I think Leigh is a phenomenal director, in this case it's mostly down to Thewlis' performance.
    If as much if it is improvised as seems it's as though he cast out a few demons while playing the part

Advertisement