Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are they REALLY sold?

Options
  • 01-01-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

Passed a main Dealer today around 11.00 and a forecourt full of unregistered new cars with yellow SOLD on the windscreen. At 6.00 this evening when I passed again they were gone. Well over 20 cars on display covering 2 brands.
    2 other main dealers had forecourts full with new cars again with sold on the windscreen. One dealer had at least 12 of only one model of a particular brand on the forecourt and nothing else. Were dealers open today shifting cars? Or is it a stunt where they bring in new cars just for the end of the year as an advertising and sales gimmick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

of course they were open today. Sad people with a superiority complex want their cars today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Yep, since the system changed to allow the Dealers register new cars online (rather than waiting for the Motor Tax offices to re-open) most Main Dealers have opened on the 1st of Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

We weren't open at all today, but we have around 120 cars sold across 4 brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

wow, that's a decent trader right there..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

I often wonder where all the less than a year old ex-fleet cars come from...who has a fleet car for less than a year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

DoomZ wrote: »
    I often wonder where all the less than a year old ex-fleet cars come from...who has a fleet car for less than a year?

Rental companies will take them for 3 months at a time in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Demos, pre-regs, short term contract hire like car rental companies who lease from dealers for the summer months

Thanks.... Love they way they're trying to sell them as near to original price as possible....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good way to do business if they were sold, promotes business. If you are a new car dealer January and July are where the main money is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thanks.... Love they way they're trying to sell them as near to original price as possible....

Whereas youd run the business as a charity and take as little profit as possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

corktina wrote: »
    of course they were open today. Sad people with a superiority complex want their cars today

Or maybe just people who paid a lot of saved up money for a car, ordered it several weeks ago and just want to get into it ASAP.

Hardly a superiority complex, or is everybody who buys a new car supposed to, feel guilty about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

also worth noting that the sun visor price labels all read "SOLD" if someone hasn't clipped in the pricing tabs over it yet.

mojn36Hw2zyhjD6Kv56Hanw.jpg

Whereas youd run the business as a charity and take as little profit as possible?

Why do people thank post like this? Its a trolls tipical kind of reply :-/

They would have gotten a big enough pay-off from the leaser to take the car back been less than 12 months old...they could knock more off the prices they try to get for ex-fleet / rental cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep in mind that these cars will invariably have metallic paint, mats etc. the RRP youll see quoted by the manufacturer will exclude delivery and related charges and metallic paint. Combined cost of these could be €1,000-€1500+ depending on the car.

The customers ultimately will vote with their feet. They're not stupid - if they could get a brand new one for pretty much the same price they'd do it.

I drive a leased car, they charge a lot to return a car early.. And isn't vrt a once off charge too, so really they could sell for less...anyhow if you're not well informed when buying...tough luck I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I drive a leased car, they charge a lot to return a car early.. And isn't vrt a once off charge too, so really they could sell for less...anyhow if you're not well informed when buying...tough luck I guess

depends on the terms surely. I doubt these cars have been returned early at all, they have just been leased for a short term, Are you seriously suggesting that once VRT is paid it ceases to become part of the value of the car on the secondhand market? Might as well deduct the value of the tyres too then I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

The customers ultimately will vote with their feet. They're not stupid - if they could get a brand new one for pretty much the same price they'd do it.[/QUOTE]

Im not so sure that all customers are well informed, often buying brand new will leave the buyer with a lower cost per year, plus the buyers of the ex lease cars will usually lose out on lower manufacturers finance, service inclusive packs as well as reduced warranty period etc. Worst of all they will usually end up with a car that was trashed on some rental fleet for 6 months.

I'd be very surprised if the dealer margin on the ex rental stuff was not much higher than on new cars?

Casati wrote: »
    The customers ultimately will vote with their feet. They're not stupid - if they could get a brand new one for pretty much the same price they'd do it.

Im not so sure that all customers are well informed, often buying brand new will leave the buyer with a lower cost per year, plus the buyers of the ex lease cars will usually lose out on lower manufacturers finance, service inclusive packs as well as reduced warranty period etc. Worst of all they will usually end up with a car that was trashed on some rental fleet for 6 months.

I'd be very surprised if the dealer margin on the ex rental stuff was not much higher than on new cars?[/quote]

I agree, it was only the odd dealer selling these years ago, now most do.
    People don't haggle enough with dealers.
    As for trashing the fleet cars, yes you're right about too.
    I wouldn't touch an ex-fleet car especially the ones we drive.

Advertisement