Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test when NCT is overdue

Options
  • 01-01-2015 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My NCT is due in January and due to the backlog I could only get a booking for March. However, my driving test is coming up and I'm not sure if I can use my car if it's passed it's NCT due date... Should I reschedule my driving test until after the NCT? Will the driving instructor make me drive a test centre car? I want to drive my own car for the test, I'm very comfortable and confident in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

NCT overdue means not road legal so no chance they'll allow it. My strong advice would be to do a few lessons in a driving school car and use that. Even getting an NCT done in the next week doesn't guarantee a pass, you may still not get a retest in time. Find a driving school with a similar car to yours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi,

My NCT is due in January and due to the backlog I could only get a booking for March. However, my driving test is coming up and I'm not sure if I can use my car if it's passed it's NCT due date... Should I reschedule my driving test until after the NCT? Will the driving instructor make me drive a test centre car? I want to drive my own car for the test, I'm very comfortable and confident in it.

The test centres do not provide cars. You have the responsibility of getting a car for your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Craftylee

Having a valid Tax, Insurance and NCT disc is something they're very fussy about - so there's a strong chance you will lose your fee and they won't do the test. If I were you I'd re-schedule, or hire an instructors car (normal fee is around €100 for this).

The test center also don't provide cars.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

you could ring NCT and see if they are any vacancies in any of the NCT test centres near you. you might be lucky and get one before the driving test. My NCT is due end of January and the system would only give me available dates for March. I phoned and got a date now for next week.

Advertisement