Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which digital piano for around 1K (YDP-162 or RP401R)

Options
  • 01-01-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

I'm brand spanking new to piano, having played guitar for years and putting off learning piano for far too long. Have signed up for lessons and am trying to decide which digital piano to get. Have looked around and googled and think I've narrowed it down to:

Yamaha YDP 162 (around €1090)

Roland RP401R (around €1250)

And I've also spotted a CLP-230 second hand for €1000 which is an extra spanner in the works :)

I've pretty much set my heart on the YDP-162 (like how it looks, sounds, features, price, etc.), but have seen one particular review which, while saying it's a great choice ranked it behind all of the other options... He was put off by the key action.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 don marco

Hi,
    I'm facing the exact same choice at the moment although I'be thrown the Casio 860 into the mix. I also read the same review as you highlighted where he seems to heavily favour the Roland 401.
    Can I ask what you went for in the end and why?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

So I ended up going for the Yamaha in the end - the RDP-162. In the polished ebony finish, which was another deciding factor.

As for your options, I personally think - based on my very limited knowledge and having spoken to people in shops and from what I read on line - that you should rule the casio out from the get-go. They might make good electronics and feature rich keyboards but I wouldn't spend money on one of their digital pianos. Personal opinion. Although I see the reviews for the model you've mentioned seem good to be fair. I would still just question their piano sound quality...

As for my choice of the Yamaha over the Roland it basically came down to the guy in the shop (Walton's in my case) telling me that that's what he'd go for. In terms of pure piano and sound he reckoned it was the better choice. And the Yamaha was cheaper too so it wasn't in his interest to push me to that one. If there's a subtle difference in key action between the 2 I haven't noticed. That might come down to my ability and the fact I'm a beginner but I'm still very happy with my choice and I haven't reconsidered it once to be honest now that I think about it!

On top of that then my wife (who was the real decision maker) liked the look of the Yamaha in the polished ebony finish and as a piece of furniture it looks great.

So all considered and 4 months in I'm absolutely delighted with my RDP-162.

Hope that helps! Whatever you go for, enjoy it! I'm loving finally tackling the piano.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 don marco

Advice much appreciated, that's kind of what I was thinking about the Casio as well.

Like you I think it might come down to looks and what the other half thinks when choosing between the Yamaha and the Roland.Heading to the shop this weekend so will have a better idea then.

Thanks Again.

Advertisement