Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Front Door Required

Options
  • 01-01-2015 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,

I posted a while back here about having a large teak warped front door.

It would seem that a new door is required.

As it is a inward opening door is there a way to ensure that there is no leaks or draughts from the bottom of this as it will be fitted into an existing frame?

It is fairly exposed where it is located.

Thanks in advance. If there are any recommendations for door manufacturers that would be appreciated by PM.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I had much the same problem, i went the composite door route, and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks for the reply.

I don`t think that I can do that as there is a large wooden frame around it, that would need to be done also.

Gavin1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I don`t think that I can do that as there is a large wooden frame around it, that would need to be done also.

I HAD THE FRAME done too..lifetime job,and secure, but it depends on your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Thanks for the reply.

We recently (Summer 14) replaced our Teak front door with a composite. Lovely door but it let in water and draughts like cheescloth.

Our old door had a hard wood from and had been there since 1966!

The installers installed a new frame and we haven't looked back.

Unless you are really handy I'd get them to install it.

The pain is that this door and frame are just over 2 years old. Shame and expensive to replace!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

The pain is that this door and frame are just over 2 years old. Shame and expensive to replace!

I feel your pain but ....

A wooden door will never be as good a seal as composite.

Think long term..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If its a solid wood door you can take the warp out of it.
    You need to make a series of crosscuts about 15mm deep across the warp, clamp it down to a flat surface and glue in hardwood strips .
    On removing the clamps the door will stay flat.

Thanks again for the replies.

I will look for some one to do this.

Any suggestions for a new door supplier? I cannot afford a new frame as it is approx 3-4 meters across and about 2.5 high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Try Munster Joinery for a quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Hootanany wrote: »

Do not try Munster Joinery. Got windows and doors fitted from them 3 months ago and the front door still wont close. Its warped and they are in no hurry to fix it. Shocking customer service and quality of product. Can provide pictures if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TOM DER

Hootanany wrote: »

Hmmmmm

Do not!!!! If you want a window company that cares about it's customers this is not the one for you!!!!
    Too big now to care about simple issues as a product doing as it should eh. Keeping out the weather... Learn from my mistakes....:-()

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I would go back to your supplier. You have a good legal case for replacement or getting it fixed. The door is probably the correct period for your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

rumar wrote: »
    Do not try Munster Joinery. Got windows and doors fitted from them 3 months ago and the front door still wont close. Its warped and they are in no hurry to fix it. Shocking customer service and quality of product. Can provide pictures if needed.

Whats wrong with the windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

recipio wrote: »
    If its a solid wood door you can take the warp out of it.
    You need to make a series of crosscuts about 15mm deep across the warp, clamp it down to a flat surface and glue in hardwood strips .
    On removing the clamps the door will stay flat.

+1 Good tip.
    This is a relatively inexpensive fix that is tried and true. Use teak strips.
    And properly applied weather seals on the exterior door jamb and a door shoe/seal on the bottom of the door - threshold interface.

Advertisement