Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning part of garden in to driveway

Options
  • 31-12-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Hi, thinking of extending the current driveway so that it can accommodate two cars. Only thing is, I have no idea where to start or what to consider or how much I could expect to pay.

current driveway only fits one car and is cobble lock stone. was thinking of widening it and having tarmac instead.

any tips or suggestions on what to do would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we done this lst year.

went down the imprint concrete route. cant remember how much it cost but it was less than 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

did you have to do anything before hand or did a person just come and do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Checkout www.pavingexpert.com. It's a great site for tips and advice on laying paving etc. I did something similar a couple of years ago and tackled the job myself. Pretty straight forward if your anyway handy. I used kilsaran paving bricks which at the time cost about €10 per m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You can pave your front garden to your hearts content without permission

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

BUT IIRC if you want to change the path outside to accommodate that's a different story as the council may well have a say in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

also check with your mgnt company if you have one.....
    as they will take a very dim view of you digging up their/your lawn,without getting their (written) permission first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

as far as I know there is no management company. others in estate have turned whole lawn in to driveway so might pop in to them,see their experience and recommendations. hoping to get in to extended bit at an angle which should be feasible with current dip in path, have no interest in touching path and want to maintain some garden so hopefully shouldn't pee anybody off too much.

thanks for all the tips and advice everyone :-)

Advertisement