Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you stake?

Options
  • 31-12-2014 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I've managed to build a bit of a bank over the last few days but I feel I've been lucky.
    My bank has had highs and lows.
    I want to try and stabilise it a bit better. So which is the best approach for staking in horse racing?
    What have you found that works?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I do level stakes most times. By that I mean if my normal bet is 10, I will stick to that, if ew, will do 5ew. If I get on a good run, I might increase the stakes moderately and pull back if I start losing. The general advice is to stick to level stakes plans and not increase/decrease the stake.

I restrict my bets to 1 or two max and only on w/e when I have time to do research, as it's unlikely you will see 6 worthwhile bets in a day. I shudder sometimes when I read people betting every race and saying " I've had 30 losing bets today". Sure way to lose. I prefer to just have one decent bet on one horse I really fancy rather than carving up my stake into 30 smaller bets where there is zero chance I could have had the time to properly research/assess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

starting bank
    100e
    got it up to over 400e at the moment, goal is 1000e

basically you need to limit yourself.
    Don't do 10 bets a day, do 1 (or 2) max on a horse you really fancy.

max stake a day would be like the previous poster, 10e
    can't go over. If it loses, no harm done, try again the next day with another horse you fancy.

Study a horse in a race in which you fancy.

It won't make you a millionaire, but when you reach a goal (if you have one) you will have a nice amount of money to cash out on.

I find when ever I reach my goal theirs always something the money I win with can be spent on.

Like I said its a slow process, but it works out better in the long run unless you enjoy losing money, or if you're in the know with every yard.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    basically you need to limit yourself.
    Don't do 10 bets a day, do 1 (or 2) max on a horse you really fancy.

max stake a day would be like the previous poster, 10e
    can't go over. If it loses, no harm done, try again the next day with another horse you fancy.

I wouldn't agree entirely with that.
    I'll sometimes have one day with 3 or 4 I want to bet on, and then might not have another for a week or more.
    I'd be more a case of work out how much I can afford to lose over a month (always assume each bet is a loser til it wins), work out on average how many bets I do on average per month, and stake accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Daliapour

Patience is key, dont go for the scattergun approach and dont have a bet for the sake of having a bet, if you dont fancy something strongly enough, dont back it. narrow down your sports your most knowlegable about and stick to those

As for staking ..... 5% of your bank per bet, price doesnt influence stake! so €100 bank its €5 stake... €1000 its €50 and so on and so on. that way your bank will be able to take a long losing run because believe me you'll back more losers than you will winners!

Lastly record your bets! even the mickey mouse ones!

HTH

Advertisement