Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New cars with standard ISO radio slot

Options
  • 31-12-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've had an almost pioneer radio with steering remote for years that I've brought with me from car to car. As I'm about to change cars again I'm finding the cars I'm looking at have their own proprietary radio size. It git me to wondering do any new cars have the good old standard iso size radio slot? And, of any if the sub €25k cars have a line out on their radios so you could, at least, install a different amp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Most car radios are actually double din disguised as a built in unit meaning you could theoretically install your own with the help of an adaptor.

The more annoying but is that a lot of radios are acting as climate controls or for the car settings meaning you're going to lose some functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The chances are the radios that's in many new cars are superior to the one you have anyway. I know I'm saying this without knowing the exact radio you have but if you have carried it from car to car it must be a few years old at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Agreed. The last "awesome" car I had was a Peugeot 407sv loaded with everything including a stereo connected to a heads up display with a desperate sounding radio. There was an option for a jbl retrofit but it was difficult and experience to install. Possibly the only thing I really disliked about the car. Many moons before that, I had swapped out the standard radio from my brand new 99 Renault clio for the pioneer and matched it up with a pair of 120w 6x9 jbls cut into the rear shelf. Many people remarked on how sweet the sound was.

Advertisement