Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

8k First Car - Advice

Options
  • 31-12-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Looking to buy my first car. In my mid 20s, won't be doing much mileage and it will be my first insurance policy in my own name, wont be carrying forward any non-claims bonus, just named driver experience on a learner permit.

I'm considering the following options - is there anything I should look out for/avoid? Budget it €8k max.

BMW 3 Series Saloon E90 - 06/07
    BMW 3 Series Coupe E46 - 05/06
    Audi A4 - 06/07
    Audi A3 (3-door)
    VW Golf - 07/08

They are the options I have really considered, but am reasonably open to other suggestions. In general I've been limiting my search to 2.0L max and am also keen to avoid cars with high mileage. Unsure also whether to go private or buy from a dealer. I know I'll probably get more for less from private, but for my first car etc, I'd feel more confident going to a dealer.

Any comments on any of the above would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Price insurance first as it might have a big impact on car choice. Without a no claims they are going to hit you hard, particularly on higher end cars.

Is there any way you can use your no claims earned as a named driver to help out? Some companies allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Golf with lowish mileage best bet there.Avoid the 1.6 petrol-far too thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

How much driving experience have you?
    How long do you have a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fx83wab

Is there any way you can use your no claims earned as a named driver to help out? Some companies allow this.

I think I might get a year as named driver = 1/3 or 1/2 year or something like that. But wanted to consider the worst case scenario first!
    Golf with lowish mileage best bet there.Avoid the 1.6 petrol-far too thirsty.

Thanks. Can I ask why you think the Golf is the best bet?
    DakarVert wrote: »
    How much driving experience have you?
    How long do you have a licence?

Not a lot to be fair. I have my full license for 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

From your list,prices of audi models will be well above norm and in effect you pay a steep premium for what is a car identical in engine, gear box etc to Vw.The bmws are one of the costliest for parts and servicing and will also hit you on the insurance front due to their desirability for our thieving class.Which brings it all back to the golf.Ok to tax and insure,reliable and will go on for ever once oil changes are adhered to-use castrol edge 5w30-this is important.You will not suffer if you do have to sell in 2 or 3 years as they are always in demand.If you can land an 08 with under 80k milesat your budget,I would feel happy to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vr7

Better going with the vw or the 3dr audi. A 1.4 petrol will be cheap to run. Check out insurance though, the days of cheap insurance are gone!!

Advertisement