Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smoke under bonnet

Options
  • 31-12-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

As I was driving today a large blast of white smoke came from under the bonnet of my car.I had just drove into a large puddle of water and am hoping that it splashed up onto hot engine that caused it. I drove it home a few more miles no problems, its just nothing like this ever happened me before and it wasn't overheating according to dash gauge. Has this ever happened to anyone??The car is a Mondeo and is only 3 years old.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I reckon your suspicion is correct, and it was just water hitting the manifold/engine. But no harm to check your levels (coolant, washer etc) to see if there's anything amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Steam from the splashed water hitting the hot engine, radiator or exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I reckon your suspicion is correct, and it was just water hitting the manifold/engine. But no harm to check your levels (coolant, washer etc) to see if there's anything amiss.

+1
    Also check your electrics, the "white smoke" was most likely steam, but if it was smoke, the white kind is (in my experience) always electrical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cedrus wrote: »
    +1
    Also check your electrics, the "white smoke" was most likely steam, but if it was smoke, the white kind is (in my experience) always electrical.

Usually accompanied by a very distinctive smell.
    So if there was no smell of burning electric components, it should be OK. But always worth checking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭greasepalm

agreed puddle and splash followed by stain on seat,also checking instrument on dash like a temp guage if fitted and remove junk stored there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Usually accompanied by a very distinctive smell.
    So if there was no smell of burning electric components, it should be OK. But always worth checking anyway.

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

And thus we learn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cedrus wrote: »
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

And thus we learn.

I know that smell very well. With electrics you live and learn. ;)

Advertisement