Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Started Playing Darts

Options
  • 31-12-2014 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey guys just started playing darts today and was wondering what the best way of practicing is? Would just playing 501 be the best or are there other games that would be better? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

301 can be good also, where you have to start and finish on a double.

Buy yourself an out shot calculator to give the recommended finish for your score, helps finish the game out as early as possible with the easiest combinations...

3254.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

If you've literally just picked up darts for the first time my advice is don't think about what your doing for a while. Just get comfortable with your stance and a comfortable throwing action. Maybe play games of around the board(1-20) just to get used to throwing at different numbers/areas then after few weeks you can try various games/practices to improve on any weakness' you feel you may have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭evancmurphy00

Cheers lads. Got an app on my phone that keeps the score and tells me how to finish. 1-20 sounds like a decent practice game so will definitely give that a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Cheers lads. Got an app on my phone that keeps the score and tells me how to finish. 1-20 sounds like a decent practice game so will definitely give that a shot!

Also I'm not sure if there is a phone app but if you've got pc/laptop download no1 darts. You can play against the computer(various levels) when nobody else is about, save your scores,etc if you want to keep track on your improvement. No1 also has few different modes build in(301,501,etc)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Play Shanghai against yourself as well, that's where you shoot for 1s for 3 darts, for 2s the second 3, 3s third, etc. etc. aim of the game is to get a single, double & treble on a number to win. Best advise I was given was don't worry about scoring to start, just aim for treble 20 first dart and regardless wherever that landed try to land the next 2 as close as possible, really works on your groupings.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Play Shanghai against yourself as well, that's where you shoot for 1s for 3 darts, for 2s the second 3, 3s third, etc. etc. aim of the game is to get a single, double & treble on a number to win. Best advise I was given was don't worry about scoring to start, just aim for treble 20 first dart and regardless wherever that landed try to land the next 2 as close as possible, really works on your groupings.

Cheers Clareman will give that a go tomorrow! Will probably do this aiming at doubles first as I'm dreadful at them! Takes me at least 21 darts at double most the time before I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Like the guys said attempts to group the darts is the best thing. If you hit a fat 12 on the first go try and hit three fat 12s. It's all about getting constituency together

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just concentrate on getting you throw straight at the moment, don't worry about going side to side, just worry about throwing up and down, if you hit treble 20 your next 2 darts shouldn't be outside the width of the double 20 for example. Also, if you notice that a lot of your throws are drifting, for example, you're hitting a lot of 18s, just move your body a couple of inches over rather than compensating with you aim. Finally, check the angle your darts are in the board, really they should be straight out, if they are at an angle you might want to adjust your stance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain Red

whats great for beginners is around the board starting at 1 then 2 etc etc great for improving accuracy and aiming great practice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I bought myself a board at the start of the summer and I try to alternate between legs of 301, 501 and rounds of Shanghai (1-9) or round the board (1-20, 25, Bull). Prob mostly 501.

I find it good to keep little records and set myself challenges, I have a spot I keep on the right hand chalkboard where I put a little notch for every Shanghai finish and I keep the record of my highest 3-dart score, highest checkout and highest Shanghai finishing score after 9 numbers.

I find it encouraging to see the evidence as you improve.

When playing 301 as you get more comfortable you can start challenging yourself to only count the bull/tops as the starting double or only count tops as your finish (ie if you bring yourself under 40 you start again). Can be tough at times but it's a good way to try and get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mykillokneel

Like the guys said attempts to group the darts is the best thing. If you hit a fat 12 on the first go try and hit three fat 12s. It's all about getting constituency together

I heard this advice too bout grouping but just wondering if I hit fat 12 while aiming for t20 do I keep aiming for t20 on the basis it drifted to 12 or aim for 12 and end up in double 9or similar, then do I aim for double 9 etc etc etc

I heard this advice too bout grouping but just wondering if I hit fat 12 while aiming for t20 do I keep aiming for t20 on the basis it drifted to 12 or aim for 12 and end up in double 9or similar, then do I aim for double 9 etc etc etc

Just try to throw the dart exactly the same every time, ideally you should be throwing where you're aiming, you shouldn't be aiming somewhere else hoping to hit something else. I used to have a terrible habbit of hitting 18s, I used to adjust by aiming for 12s, after a while I started to hit 12s more and more until someone pointed out I should just move myself a couple of inches to the left at the oche. Turns out I've astigmatism in 1 of my eyes and I have a fairly dominant eye which affected my throw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mykillokneel

Thanks, may have to move around the board as it's a bit obstructed from one angle. Drifting into 5 is my issue mostly, can be great one day (100,85,60) next day 15 11 3 etc

Just on another point is there anywhere in cork that just play singles tournaments, I know it's a pub game mostly and based around this but I no longer drink and stay out of them now. Would love to give it a go don't mind getting walloped just like to see how I'd get on. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain Red

you could still check your local pubs don't have to drink get a coke or something

Thanks again for the advice lads.

Advertisement