Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo Bonnet Won't Close - Technical Service Bulletin Covered?

Options
  • 31-12-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2008 Ford Mondeo and a couple of weeks ago during a cold spell I opened my bonnet to fill the water reservoir and then I couldn't close it fully, it would only stay on the catch.

When I got home I sprayed WD40, as a temporary measure, to loosen the cable release and I was able to get it to close. But then when I pulled the release catch it wouldn't open so I pulled it a bit harder and it appears to be loose or broken.

I did a quick search online and on the talkford website there were loads of other Ford drivers having issues and one of the posters posted a Technical Service bulletin from Ford (see attached) specifying that the hood release cable on 2007 - mondeos was faulty and should be replaced.

I am thinking I should be contacting Ford before I bring it to a garage to see if, at the very least, I get a discount on replacing it as it was faulty (prior to me pulling it too hard).

Has anyone come across this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

There is an issue with some cables breaking but you wont get it covered under warranty im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

There is an issue with some cables breaking but you wont get it covered under warranty im afraid.

Ye was thinking that. I was gonna trade up for a newer Mondeo so I might contact Ford anyway and say that I won't be trading up if we can't come to some arrangement over the cable issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Cable is about €20, but a pain in the ass to replace. Had mine done last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Try that if you want but dealers have heard it all before if your thinking of trading up just do it and dont waste your time trying to get your own repaired under warranty because its not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Ye was thinking that. I was gonna trade up for a newer Mondeo so I might contact Ford anyway and say that I won't be trading up if we can't come to some arrangement over the cable issue.
    Contact Ford itself or a Ford dealer? A savi dealer would ask you to pay now and he'll refund you when you actually trade-in with him. House always wins.

• Advertisement

Ye was thinking that alright. Think I'll just trade up for a non-ford as I've had all sorts of problems with this mondeo. Clutch Flywheel is going (a week after NCT) and it was only on 90,000kms at the time.

Just thinking about this and if it was a declared fault by Ford, surely they have to fix it even at a reduced cost, even if it is out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Just thinking about this and if it was a declared fault by Ford, surely they have to fix it even at a reduced cost, even if it is out of warranty.

that's somewhat the difference between a TSB and a re-call.

TSB's are almost like an internal information source (in this instance, of Ford mechanics), recording popular issues they have seen and how they were overcame, it doesn't mean Ford as a manufacturer have admitted an engineering/ design issue, just that some technicians have started seeing the same problems (i guess you could say that's one of the same thing, but TSB's aren't really for public knowledge). manufacturers really only re-call over safety issues.

you might get some goodwill towards a known TSB job if you were friendly with your local dealer, had a a full history with them etc, they might talk to Ford on your behalf or absorb some of the cost themselves to keep their customer happy.

you'l get nothing realistically if you turn up with a 7 year old car, a good long time out of the dealer network with no history with the garage. what do they stand to gain from reducing the cost for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ye was thinking that alright. Think I'll just trade up for a non-ford as I've had all sorts of problems with this mondeo. Clutch Flywheel is going (a week after NCT) and it was only on 90,000kms at the time.

Well Clutches are very much related to the how the car was driven over its history. Some can last 160,000 Miles Some can last 30,000 miles.

90,000 KMs really depends on the Driver rather than the vehicle unless there was something seriously wrong in the batch manufacturing.

Advertisement