Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brilliant movies you know are actually terrible movies and why you love them

Options
  • 31-12-2014 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

Watching Losers at the moment and loving it. It's lighthearted, has a great soundtrack and really solid character actors. It's basically like a less manufactured version of the A-Team movie.

Eurotrip falls in to the same category, although it's comedy and comedy is always very subjective. But it has great characters, pokes fun at so may European stereotypes and has a pretty great soundtrack. It has David Hasselhoff singing Du Hast when the hero gets with his German love interest; it has Matt Damon singing a song about having sex with the hero's girlfriend at his graduation party...and his girlfriend is Kristin Kreuk! Also, was in Italy for the first time recently and every time I said "mi scusi" I couldn't help smiling which must surely have confused the locals.

There are countless other movies I couldn't ever recommend to anyone that I love but curious to hear some more suggestions.

I realise this is similar to Recommend a Bad Movie but that's a list thread and recommending a movie without explaining why seems pointless to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Highlander. I just love movies of that type which don't give much backstory and leave so much to your imagination. I find it really entertaining as a standalone movie, no matter how cheesy it is. The sequels are absolute tripe though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Starship troopers, cheesy as hell, but the action is pretty great. All the sequels are terrible tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Equilibrium.
    The whole premise is ridiculous. Some of the dialogue is atrocious.

Christian Bale delivers Rambo sized killstreaks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Equilibrium.

But you've got to love it right?

Also love the Losers and love Starship Troopers.

American Pie. Both terrible and lots of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Baseketball, the 90's movie by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Its terrible but I just love it for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I'm a big arny fan, commando being a classic can be described as a bad film in so many ways but great in so many other ways, some great one liners in there too.
    'Let off some steam Bennett' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Job Gnocchi

Maximum Overdrive. AC/DC soundtrack is brilliant. The rest of the movie however, is pretty horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Batman and Robin its just so redicolous, camp and cheesy i love it. Arnies one liners are brilliant and the performances from everyone is just over the top so brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Flash Gordon (1980) it's so bad, you could trick yourself into believing that Ed Wood made it.
    Needless to say, I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

sky88 wrote: »
    Batman and Robin its just so redicolous, camp and cheesy i love it. Arnies one liners are brilliant and the performances from everyone is just over the top so brilliant.

B&R is really one of those ones thats so bad its good. Especially the shot of Batgirls ass.:pac:

Get to the chopperrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Flash Gordon (1980) it's so bad, you could trick yourself into believing that Ed Wood made it.

Flash Gordon is a great film and not because its "bad" but because it actually understands its job - to amuse and entertain children and adults alike. I was watching a bit of John Carter (on Mars) the other day. Its a po-faced over-budgeted wreck of a film. Flash Gordon makes you smile for the right reasons as its perfectly knowing - the saucy dialogue, sexy dames, virile males, phallic weapons, BDSM undertow, the hint of an unhealthy father/daughter relationship and so on which keeps the grown ups amused while the larger than life action and colourful special effects catch a childs eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Highlander is brilliant. Christopher Lambert is just perfect for the role and the Queen soundtrack is second only (maybe) to Flash Gordon and has some fantastic lines.
    Starship troopers, cheesy as hell, but the action is pretty great. All the sequels are terrible tho.

I think starship troopers is generally considered to be a good satirical movie. That satire is definitely lost in the sequels though.
    Equilibrium.

Sean Bean reading Yeats is a fantastic scene and the action is very good. The dialogue is at times utterly awful.

Flash Gordon is too good to be in this thread. Queen soundtrack, Brian Blessed and Max von Sydow, enough to make your hairs stand on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

A newer film, The Last Stand from arnie. His timing and delivery are awful and the comic relief is johnie knoxville. this should be one forgettable film, yet I've watched it three times now.
    Classic cheese and one liners galore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: CGI apes driving military tanks while firing twin machine guns, completely ridiculously terrible while strangely exciting and enthralling.

Interstellar: Guy heads across the universe to save planet Earth
    and ends up stuck in some form of weird digital library
    . Actually terrible but brilliantly executed. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. Absolutely amazingly ridiculous over the top film that does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. Absolutely amazingly ridiculous over the top film that does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Excellent choice. Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci against Paul Giamatti with pretty good cinematography. As you say, does exactly what it says on it tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

There's a movie from 2005 called Cursed with Christine Ricci and Jessie Eisenberg. I thought it was a satire after about 5 minutes, I was wrong. It's so bad its good though, check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

On the contrary, Starship Troopers 3 is actually a pretty good sequel, very similar to the original in terms of tone - though sadly not the budget. Anyone who liked the first film should give it a look though - in terms of visual style and content it's very similar. Hard to forgive such bad special effects though on a movie that relies so heavily upon them.

I found SST2 watchable but it is a bad film and a dreadful sequel. The worst thing is that Starship Troopers 2 is a terrible film with excellent special effects, Starship Troopers 3 is a decent film with very bad special effects.

That newest one - Starhip Troopers: Invasion - is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Freddy Got Fingered. I know it's cack, but some of the scenes are gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Room. It's just one wonderfully bizarre moment after another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Starship Troopers is the obvious one. I rewatch that so much, it actually never gets old!

But speaking of Troopers.... Super Troopers is up there!

Another one I thought would be AWFUL was Your Highness, actually it was pretty hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Crank 2 for me. It's got a complete rehash of the original's idea, poor treatment of women, OTT and sadistic violence, bizarre subplots including Ginger Spice being the Strat's mom in a flashback.

And yet it's a great sequel IMO, utterly ridiculous, terrible but very entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

Big Trouble In Little China.. Amazingly quotable and has that catchy as hell theme song.. Don't know how that flick ever bombed!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not getting all the starship troopers comments. I agree it's a good film but I always took it that is was being a little like team America that it knew how cheesy and ridiculous it was being.

Equilibrium is a good shout, it's absolutely absurd but I Love it.

The only other film that I absolutely Love and ignore it's many flaws is any given Sunday. Just pure Oliver Stone, OTT madness. Love it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Off topic posts deleted. If you have an issue with a post, please report it rather than responding on thread. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Nah, that's a quality movie. Great visuals, great sense of humour, real tongue in cheek war propaganda and amazing FX for the time.

My one is the Resident Evil movies. They are terrible movies but I love watching them. They're so stupid, brainless and plain ridiculous but I enjoy the zombie action and laughing at the ridiculousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: CGI apes driving military tanks while firing twin machine guns, completely ridiculously terrible while strangely exciting and enthralling.

Interstellar: Guy heads across the universe to save planet Earth
    and ends up stuck in some form of weird digital library
    . Actually terrible but brilliantly executed. I love it.

I thought both those movies were excellent. Both split audiences to a certain extent I suppose but the critics reviews on RT are 90% and 73% respectively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Uncle Walt wrote: »
    Big Trouble In Little China.. Amazingly quotable and has that catchy as hell theme song.. Don't know how that flick ever bombed!

What I love about Big Trouble... is how cleverly it frames the whole movie, with Kurt Russells character Jack Burton thinking he's the smooth talking, big-shot action hero, when really he's a total passenger, his 'sidekick' Wang the actual protagonist & hero of the film. Burton is completely full of hot air but doesn't know it; I could easily see how the movie might have been a hard sell, being as it is a blatant satirical comedy of the action genre, happily mocking conventions that might have gone over the audience's head at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I suspect some folks are mistaking 'deliberately cheesy and satirical' for 'bad'.
    Starship Troopers would fall into this category. It's a good movie by any measure in my book. Flash Gordon looks cheesy but it's deliberately so, the entire film is a love note to the classic designs and plotlines of the old RKO serials which it lovingly recreates in obsessive detail.

Apart from the obvious films that get a pass because I watched them endlessly as a kid, I'll go with the Hellraiser series of films that go down hill so fast they could win a winter olympic medal and yet still I have somehow managed to see them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Willow (1988)

I think its a great film, I loved it as a kid, I still love it now. Everyone else I know thinks its sh1te.

It's basically Star Wars on a much smaller medieval scale.

I watched it last year, and was amazed and how well it has aged, the effects look great (well most of them).

Advertisement