Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical Classical/Traditional Martial Arts??

Options
  • 31-12-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I wonder are the classical/traditional martial arts really of any value for today's world?

Got are the days where everyone needs to be able to fight off a ruffian trying to steal our loaf of bread. In general most people live their lives without ever meeting one moment of violence.

Training methods in most of these styles are mostly out of date and many practitioners cling to the mystic methods as a means to make what they do "Elvis-cool".

So being some who comes from one of the arts that is guilty of these kind of actions, I was wondering what other people who are involved in that world think of how these arts will need to adapt for the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

paulol wrote: »
    I wonder are the classical/traditional martial arts really of any value for today's world?
    paulol wrote: »
    I was wondering what other people who are involved in that world think of how these arts will need to adapt for the future?

Some have adapted and evolved and so are very much of value. In my opinion, full contact competition is the key to staying relevant.

For example if your style hasn't learned to block the low kicks used in kyokushin, Thai, Sanshou etc then it has been left behind. Same goes for not incorporating western boxing, if you are still using the 'one hand at the hip' sideways stance then you are going to have a bad time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Depends on why you're training IMO.

The majority train for fitness and enjoyment of their chosen style, a few take it further and compete and smaller few compete at national and international levels.

Even less train so they can use their skills outside of the club/competition environment.

If one fits into the above then there's tremendous value in what you're doing, you're leading a healthy, disciplined lifestyle (I'd hope) and having the craic while doing so.

Most adults will never experience violence, and IMO training for violence is a bit thick since you can not replicate violence (or the intent to seriously f*ck you up) in the club environment, if this is why someone trains then they're Walter Mitty's.

I train Judo and BJJ, I work a nightclub door ~ do I train so I can fight easier on the door?.. My arse do I. I train because I love training martial arts and thats all.

If I hadn't been a little fat kid who was never picked to play football I might have been a footballer instead :)

Advertisement