Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madness, Joe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

This is boards.ie I think you might be looking for the filthyrichstanandpam forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

€6m for a semi-d! WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Surely you'd have to be mental?

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-shrewsbury-road-ballsbridge-dublin-4/2688492

Down the road for a mere 1.2m you can have a gorgeous house, at this point surely it become impractical to buy in Dublin. Would you not head down to some country estate and live off the other 5.5m?
    Location location location. Houses on the road have sold for much more. While it may see like a lot to you, it's picket change for others.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/aryzta-chief-digs-deep-on-shrewsbury-road-with-6-5m-purchase-1.2041261

http://m.independent.ie/business/monopoly-mansions-changing-owners-30444558.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Location is my point though. I love living here but frankly it's not a patch on London.

I suppose there will be a very limited number of people that are forced to live in Dublin, but again there are nicer houses in D4 for a lot less. The link you provided seems to show a much nicer house for only €500k more.

Location is my point though. I love living here but frankly it's not a patch on London.

I suppose there will be a very limited number of people that are forced to live in Dublin, but again there are nicer houses in D4 for a lot less. The link you provided seems to show a much nicer house for only €500k more.

For multi millionaire/ billionaire buisnesse people/ embassies that's the top lication for them and they may well have properties in London already.

It's not a choice of London or Dublin. People do Buisness in Dublin and need to be based here.

My personal preference is Dublin over London. I don't see why you think that their is a need to choose one over the other.

When you have real money, 7 million isn't that much. E.g Eddie Jordan spent 32m on a boat

• Advertisement

It just wouldn't strike me as a market that would require a significant residential presence. It also seems to fall between several stools for me in that if you have that amount of money you're unlikely to be Dublin based for significant amounts of time, generally. Clearly though there are a limited number of people that are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It just wouldn't strike me as a market that would require a significant residential presence. It also seems to fall between several stools for me in that if you have that amount of money you're unlikely to be Dublin based for significant amounts of time, generally. Clearly though there are a limited number of people that are.

Emi Are round the corner
    Good few of those houses were business addresses or at least used commercially

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Ha Bono is based here. Seriously though people wit that money usually have properties in all the major cities, that's probably the best address in Dublin, I know plenty of business men who could buy that, and are based in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Spider you might send them sniffing around my way, I'm completely broke.

As to the IT article above, I would have thought that having a cretin like Denis O'Brien in the neighbourhood would devalue the property in the area significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Seems about right.

What's the big deal, Dublin's a great city and many people want to live here (rich and poor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

That is absolutely crazy Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Seems about right.

What's the big deal, Dublin's a great city and many people want to live here (rich and poor)

Except it's not when you have the option to live in other places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Regarding London, where I used to live for a while in Surrey was where many of the rich Londoners lived. Some had helicopters to bring them into meetings in The City but most of them would have huge estates and would just commute into London when necessary.

In practical terms, living up to 1hr outside Dublin to get an equivalent place for 1-2m would make complete sense but buying on Shrewsbury Rd etc. has more to do with investing and purchasing a 'solid' property that is less likely to drop in value. With cash not making cash in the bank then why not buy a gaff in D4 to live/do business in from time to time.

lima wrote: »
    Except it's not when you have the option to live in other places

I'd choose Dublin any day of the week. If I didn't I would be gone. Why are you still here ?

When your worth several millions time is money and living an hour away from where you need to be doesnt make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

€6m and there's no way we are leaving the sanitary ware at that price! They're getting it so cheap they can buy their own bath.

Kind of pointless talking about a house that is out of reach for even most of 1%ers, isn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Derrymore (no. 6 Shrewsbury Road), also a semi-d, of similar size, sold for 7 million in 2011- when the market was a hell of a lot more depressed than it is now.......

Link here

Its all relative- but someone looking for a property on Shrewsbury Road- which is Ireland's premier street address- might consider the 6m tag on no. 7 to be very good value (relative to what other property in the immediate area has sold for).

?

gaius c wrote: »
    Kind of pointless talking about a house that is out of reach for even most of 1%ers, isn't it?

I'd suggest that 99.9% of what's talked about on boards follows a similar vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Have a friend (not close anymore) who's family used to live on Shrewsbury. His parents bought it in the 60's for around €100k. They sold it about 8/10 years ago for about €20m. Bought another pales in the south city for €3m, then sold that two years later for €6m & now live in NYC.

He was always wealthy although you wouldn't think it -(property developers), but they're in the mega rich group now. I'd guess through limited knowledge of their business dealings, that they're worth circa €200m as a family now.

Must give him a call...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SunshineSteve

Definately, if you've decided that you can never have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

This house is for the top 1% of Irelands rich. Owning this house is symbol that you have made it. Saying you can buy this house for 7 million but there is grand ones for 700k around the corner is pointless. Why do people wait for several years and spend nearly $10k on a basic Hermes Birkin, when they can buy a fine Louis Vuitton handbag? To show that they have extreme wealth. Anyone can buy a louis Vuitton handbag, but not everyone can have a birkin

OP that house is 5,500 sq feet. Its huge for a Irish house. Its very rare to find a house in Dublin city over 4,000 feet. It will probably be brought by another country for an embassy.

I'd suggest that 99.9% of what's talked about on boards follows a similar vein.

It's never a good sign when even the OP admits his thread is pointless.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It's never a good sign when even the OP admits his thread is pointless.

gaius c both your posts are off topic...if you've nothing to add to the discussion then you don't have to post.

/Mod.

Advertisement