Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit

Options
  • 31-12-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice from some of the experienced tri athletes that frequent this site. I am hoping to take part in my first sprint triathlon or 2 next year and need to get a tri-suit/wetsuit. Due to budget constraints I'm not in a position to spend €400 or €500. Could someone give me an idea firstly what i need to get and secondly what is the minimum i can get away with spending (without buying rubbish) to keep me going until funds improve.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would look for 2nd hand suit and anything that uses no39 neoprene is very good so then it needs to fit ie you need to try it fit is the most important next thing . You should not need to spend more than 150 euro 2 nd hand and I bought a decent one for 60 euro 2 nd hand that I have raced in.

quote="Ath trasna;93625449"]Hi all, looking for a bit of advice from some of the experienced tri athletes that frequent this site. I am hoping to take part in my first sprint triathlon or 2 next year and need to get a tri-suit/wetsuit. Due to budget constraints I'm not in a position to spend €400 or €500. Could someone give me an idea firstly what i need to get and secondly what is the minimum i can get away with spending (without buying rubbish) to keep me going until funds improve.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

I'm based in the Galway mossym.

Thanks peter kern, should I look out for any particular brand or is anything that uses no39 neoprene ok?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you're in galway, give Amphibian King West in oranmore a call. Owner posts on here as AKW and won't put you wrong.

Ath trasna wrote: »
    I'm based in the Galway mossym.

Thanks peter kern, should I look out for any particular brand or is anything that uses no39 neoprene ok?

Depends on cut of brand and model . And what you need .. i in terms of stitching and workmanship I would rate aquaman and blue 70 highly older 2xu I would stay away from but I think most brands a decent enough ( but you could be lucky or unlucky getting a Monday suit with every brand) . If buying new zone 3 ( which AKW has are good value )
    If it was me I would try to swim in as many wetsuits before I buy trying on is one thing swimming can be another
    I frequently ask people to let me try their wetsuit and there is differences , now how much does it matter really depends but if you have a strong kick and but one with high leg buoyancy it's not good viva versa if you have no kick you want one with high buoyancy in legs and if you want flexible shoulders you will have to pay for that
    And I have to say the zero d vanquard beats everything I have tried in terms of shoulder flexibility and getting of a wet suit ( now I could not care less about that but for some for whom that is important it would certainly. Be one I would put on the short list .at the same time to one guy I recommended it he hated it so much he would have preferred to give it back. As he felt his older half priced blue 70 was defo not slower. Most likely ,the vanquard dosnt lift legs as high and the blue 70 he has does and torso a bit wider. So price is not always anindication for speed qand frankly speaking many weak swimmer waste their money buying expensive suits. Many of the upper priced models are made for slim type people and people with swim backgrounds.
    So best tip would be ask your mates in the club to let them try theirs in open water sessions and then decide.
    The next best thing would be going to base 2 race ( don't let them push you to buy over your budget) and the the tyr cat3 is a brill suit that often tests v good with non fishes. The more expensive tyr hurricane would make most average swimmer not faster than the cat 3 for most likely half the shelf live you get out of the cat 3 (defo not a suit to recommend to use in training )
    And as I said zone 3 right now prob best value on the market
    Also a hint the more you swim the faster the suits tend to get ...
    There is many other ways to think about wetsuits. It's just my 2 cents and it's a difficult subject to be subjective. And there is quite a few good wetsuit brands not really available in Ireland..
    Anyway I hope it helps you to either read up more on the subject or if you don't want to spend a bit more to pay for expertise .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can I jump in here and just ask about sizing. I am about 5' 6" but would be big enough in the thighs and shoulders. Are the size charts a good guage? I would be a 29" inside leg.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Can I jump in here and just ask about sizing. I am about 5' 6" but would be big enough in the thighs and shoulders. Are the size charts a good guage? I would be a 29" inside leg.
    Cheers

You need to try it on, with expert advice guiding you. Either from a experienced triathlete friend, or a shop. You are in Galway, AKW is in Galway. He has a reputation for selling what you need, not what he has. Cannot go far wrong with a visit to his shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I bought this today. Good value and has very good reviews.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-trn-thermo-wetsuit-wiggle-exclusive/
    Only issue will be the sizing but no guarantee the shops options will fit perfect either. You can return and exchange it too if size doesn't suit.

Cheers

sometimes a 32/34 inch jenas fits me pefectly the other same 32/34 inch jenas dosnt work . many 32/34 inch jeans are to tight for my tighs....
    hope that helps that there i many factors that influence sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I love my speedo tri elite ( or something like that). Got it half price in the ahop in the aquatic centre as itvwas a previous model.

Real good ahouldwr flexibility - geels like u dont have a aetsuit on. Much prefer this to other models i have had.

Trialled a sailfish and it was probably better but too expensive.

These were the top of the range. As peter points out the buoyancy wouldnt be as much as some others so be careful what u buy especiallybif ur lega dont float

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

+1 for the Speedo Tri Elite. Cracking suit and a great deal also from Nickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Anyone have any experiences of the Zerod wetsuits from base2race?? Might be in the market for a new one and would like to swim in one before I buy. Not many club mates my size either to try their's so was looking at base2race. Would probably be looking for Vanguard or Neptune.

Advertisement