Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overpriced?

Options
  • 30-12-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

I brought a 2002 Toyota Corolla for a service just before Christmas. They told me that the 2 drop links need replacing. Also the belt for the alternator. 75 each for the drop links and 70 for the belt, parts and labour.

Seeing as the drop links can be picked up for 15 euro online this seems a bit of a ripoff. Is this normal or am I dealing with cowboys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That sounds expensive. For comparison when i had my Corolla I had a service (oil and filter) and two drop links in the front done for €145

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

just to summarise that, the total bill (parts and labour) was €220?

seems a little steep. the drop links would more realistically be around €25 a piece and say the same again for the belt, so say €75 for parts. that leaves €145 in labour charges for 30-40 minutes of work... that does sound a shade high, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

just to summarise that, the total bill (parts and labour) was €220?

seems a little steep. the drop links would more realistically be around €25 a piece and say the same again for the belt, so say €75 for parts. that leaves €145 in labour charges for 30-40 minutes of work... that does sound a shade high, yeah.
    Oh I didn't get the work done as it seemed steep. They also said the belt was starting to wear which to me probably means that it's still alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the belt is a very easy D.I.Y. job, even for a novice. all you need is 5-10 minutes and one spanner (14mm iirc).

the links can be a bit troublesome if they are rusted or seized, but nothing a competent mechanic couldn't deal with in a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was that price from a main dealer or indy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I brought a 2002 Toyota Corolla for a service just before Christmas. They told me that the 2 drop links need replacing. Also the belt for the alternator. 75 each for the drop links and 70 for the belt, parts and labour.
    is that €220 for the above, and the service as separate amount, or €220 for the above and the service? Also, what was done for the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do belt and droplinks DIY, it's easy enough and the cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

the_syco wrote: »
    is that €220 for the above, and the service as separate amount, or €220 for the above and the service? Also, what was done for the service?
    220 for just the drop links and alternator belt which I didn't get done.

160 for the full service. I needed it done as I was driving to Hampshire and it was last minute. What did they do? Oil change, topped up the fluids and new plugs. They also checked a bunch of stuff which was fine apparently. Also paid for 4 new tyres which in fairness I needed as they were a bit worn.

It was Advance Pitstop in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I'm surprised they didn't tell you that you needed brake pads and discs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Go to a regular garage. These guys are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »

Advance can be OK if you go in for tires alone and make sure to tell them "Tires only please. Don't touch anything else. If you see something out of the ordinary, tell me. And balance the rear tires as well, no really, I mean it!"
    That is what I said the last time I used that very Advance. I drove 200 meters up the road and the whole back of my car was an ass-shaker. Went back and they said "we didn't balance the rears, because they don't need to be balanced, balancing tires is only so your steering wheel doesn't shake".
    I did get them to balance it and it was fine.
    Wouldn't let them near it for a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any place that can keep a straight face quoting €95 each for Barums in 205/55/16 and then suggesting I couldn't afford Continentals at €127 each because I didn't buy them won't be getting my business.
    Had to make do with Michelin Energys for €79 from Tyrestop. Oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

colm_mcm wrote: »
    5 months after I bought the Civic up north, one of the brakes seized up (goddamn salt). These guys (Finglas) were recommended to me, so off I go. They say I need new pads and discs on all four wheels, and seeing as one went and the others don't look much better, I agreed. I got two tyres off them as well, but the bill? 700 quid. What a rip, never again.

Advertisement