Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants rights

Options
  • 30-12-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I have been living in a house with my wife and child for just less than six months. Signed one year lease.

I would appreciate some advice on my rights as a tenant.
    Is it correct that I must get at least 28 days notice of termination and there does not need to be a specific reason despite signing a one year lease?
    Is it correct that the landlord can not gain access unannounced and can only enter at a time that suits both of us?

Not sure if I am entitled to this at less than 6 months?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you signed a one year lease you are not 'entitled' to end the lease early unless the lease specifically contains some sort of break clause (most don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

Graham wrote: »
    If you signed a one year lease you are not 'entitled' to end the lease early unless the lease specifically contains some sort of break clause (most don't).

I'm not asking about me ending it early rather the landlord asking us to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

fisher8181 wrote: »
    Unless your lease has a break clause in it you are entitled to stay put until the year is up, regardless of what the landlord says or what reason he gives.

Edit: assuming you are not in breach of the terms of the lease, of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Unless the lease has a break clause then the same applies to the landlord, he has no right to terminate the lease early.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Why are you being asked to leave? Have you breached the terms of your lease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it correct that the landlord can not gain access unannounced and can only enter at a time that suits both of us?

Yes, that is correct.

This refers: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html#lca76f

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Less than 6mths you can be asked to leave without reason.

Less than 6mths you can be asked to leave without reason.
    Not if you have a 1-year fixed term lease.

Not if you have a 1-year fixed term lease.

That doesnt matter as far as I am aware

You are wrong. Read the Residential Tenancies Act:
    i.e. the lease can give the tenant additional security of tenure, but it cannot reduce the tenant's security of tenure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Wrong.while a lease cannot deprive a tenant of their statutory rights under the RTA, it can enhance those rights - ergo if they have a fixed term lease they cannot be kicked out in the absence of a breach of the lease.

Wrong.while a lease cannot deprive a tenant of their statutory rights under the RTA, it can enhance those rights - ergo if they have a fixed term lease they cannot be kicked out in the absence of a breach of the lease.

Under 6 months . 28 days notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Sigh....I'll try again.

If there is a fixed term lease in place, then neither the landlord nor a tenant can break the term of the lease unless the other party is in breach.

If you don't believe me, check the PRTB website. It's very clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Jesus H Christ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Why do people bother giving advise if they know so little about the subject. This is renting 101 and a few times a week some know it all is spouting incorrect advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

No.

Fixed term lease. Landlord can only give notice at the end of the tenancy, unless there is a break clause in the lease. A lease is a legally binding contract.

Op, what has happened that your landlord is trying to evict you? If we know what's going on, we may be able to offer better advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

handlemaster- you're mixing up Part IV tenancies- and Fixed term tenancies.
    The information the guys are giving- is accurate- the OP and the Landlord are bound by the terms of the lease- which may or may not have a break clause- or specific conditions which can void the tenancy (think anti-social behaviour etc).

OP- info on the Citizens Advice Bureau tends to be reasonably balanced, and accurate in the main- use it over and above Threshold, it will be more accurate and less biased.

Advertisement