Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.9 cdti turbo noise

Options
  • 30-12-2014 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

The turbo on my vectra 1.9 cdti is making a stance noise when cold. Its sounds almost like a screeching fan belt but the sound seems to be coming from the turbo and the fan belt was changed about 6 months ago. The screeching sound is only there when cold and disappears after 30 secs or so. The turbo is working fine as the engine pulls like a train and the engine is not using oil or there is no blue smoke from the exhaust. Ive had the car about 15k miles and its on 108 k now and ive changed the oil every 5k miles since ive bought it. Is the turbo on the way out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

almostover wrote: »
    The turbo on my vectra 1.9 cdti is making a stance noise when cold. Its sounds almost like a screeching fan belt but the sound seems to be coming from the turbo and the fan belt was changed about 6 months ago. The screeching sound is only there when cold and disappears after 30 secs or so. The turbo is working fine as the engine pulls like a train and the engine is not using oil or there is no blue smoke from the exhaust. Ive had the car about 15k miles and its on 108 k now and ive changed the oil every 5k miles since ive bought it. Is the turbo on the way out?

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Have you physically checked the turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Pour a little water on the belt to see if the cold start noise changes or goes away.
    There is also a possibility a pulley is getting noisy

You could place a big screw driver against the turbo housing and your ear to the handle end and compare when noise is present at cold starts and when engine is warm and noise is gone. I doubt it is turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Tested the alternator auxiliary belt yesterday and it's definitely not that. The bely looks new enough and it is tensioned properly. The sound is definitely coming from the turbo. Had the car up on axle stands yesterday to inspect the turbo and I couldn't see any thing untoward. There is no oil laking from the turbo and the oil feed and return pipes look OK

Advertisement