Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales people of questionable backgrounds

Options
  • 30-12-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Ever had a very shifty lad try and sell you something on the cheap?
    Ever been offered a new bike by someone holding a bolt cutters?
    Come tell us your tales of questionable sales, the goods, the reasons for the quick cheap sale and don't forget to discribe the seller, it's all for the LOLZ.

I used to work in a roller shutter factory, had a junkie come in one day trying to sell a set of brand new PING golf clubs "he just didn't use anymore" for €50, a whole set.

One of the lads bought them off him, he got him down to €30.

Tell us your tales.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I mentioned this in another thread, but when I was younger, I foolishly handed over £120 in cash to two chaps I met outside a mcdonalds to get me a PSP console when it was sold out at release. I was stupid :(

I also tried buying the counterfeit cigarettes off the dodgy people on Moore street in Dublin, but they're so awful I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Carpets. Always offered. Never buy. And kitchen knives. Didnt get them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why would anyone want to buy a questionable background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Why would anyone want to buy a questionable background?

To become a secret agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Deco99 wrote: »
    Carpets. Always offered. Never buy. And kitchen knives. Didnt get them either.

Funny enough I was about to reply saying I get knocks on the door from a 'certain type of Irish community' (ahem) always selling carpets or knives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I buy drugs so most weeks yes. Always dodgey meeting someone for the first time outside a disused community center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Funny enough I was about to reply saying I get knocks on the door from a 'certain type of Irish community' (ahem) always selling carpets or knives.

Would you say they are well travelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I love the auld lolz and bantz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Saipanne wrote: »
    Would you say they are well travelled?

It took 6 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Be careful what you admit to on here:
    A person who, without lawful authority or excuse, possesses stolen property (otherwise than in the course of the stealing), knowing that the property was stolen or being reckless as to whether it was stolen, is guilty of an offence.

Where a person has in his or her possession stolen property in such circumstances (including purchase of the property at a price below its market value) that it is reasonable to conclude that the person either knew that the property was stolen or was reckless as to whether it was stolen, he or she shall be taken for the purposes of this section to have so known or to have been so reckless, unless the court or the jury, as the case may be, is satisfied having regard to all the evidence that there is a reasonable doubt as to whether he or she so knew or was so reckless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭kirving

Airtricity salespeople - not once but twice.

"If you sign up today, you can save 22%"

"How's that?"

"12% of Electricity, 10% on Gas, makes 22% total..."

It took 6 posts.

Relax, you'll give yourself a heart attack.

Being stereotypical is very stressful I hear.

Being stereotypical is very stressful I hear.

Is it? How do you cope?

Is it? How do you cope?

By generally not trying to tar complete communities with the same brush, based on their race colour or creed. (or what football jersey they might be wearing) :cool:

By generally not trying to tar complete communities with the same brush, based on their race colour or creed. (or what football jersey they might be wearing) :cool:

Jesus. It was a tounge in cheek remark...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Yes I totally agree; Saipanne needs to explicitly state that he/she only intends to direct his/her comments towards the 99% of the aforementioned community who are scum of the earth and not the 1% who are probably ok.

Yes I totally agree; Saipanne needs to explicitly state that he/she only intends to direct his/her comments towards the 99% of the aforementioned community who are scum of the earth and not the 1% who are probably ok.

Ok, that's too far...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

Ok, that's too far...

I agree. Its more like 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

This will end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I have a defibrillator for sale that might help with that.

Unwanted Christmas gift :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Was offered a mac in a pub in town a few years back. Fella had it out for inspection. I said no he went around the pub trying to attract other people into the bargain, a few minutes later the police rolled in and nicked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

I buy drugs so most weeks yes. Always dodgey meeting someone for the first time outside a disused community center.
    My postman is a drug dealer and doesn't even know it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

About 15 years ago I was sitting in Enzo's café on Moore Street, Dublin a week or so before Christmas and this fella came in and offered me a couple of those aftershave/deodorant gift box thingys for a fiver each. I may or may not, depending on the legal status of any readers, have acquired some handy presents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

A mate of mine got a "real" Armani suit for €80 from a sales rep in a car park....oh how I laughed at his "real" Armani suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

A bloke once sold me an "Italian" leather jacket from the boot of a car. I was 18 at the time. Well, I still have the jacket, it turned out to be real leather and it is one of my favourite jackets and it's as comfortable as hell. Maybe it was stolen, maybe it was knock-off, but whatever. I came into a nice bloody jacket at a knock down price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i had a few questionable people call to my door and ask me for my vote at the last election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Had someone trying to sell me a gps, car stereo, drill and a pair of runners the other day from a fiat sciquocentoishsortofthing with no bonnet. During the conversation I asked where he was heading and he told me he didn't know yet so I told him to just use the gps instead.

20 minutes later one of the regulars in the bar I work in rolls in all delighted with his new gps he paid €15 for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

joe stodge wrote: »
    ....I used to work in a roller shutter factory, had a junkie come in one day trying to sell a set of brand new PING golf clubs "he just didn't use anymore" for €50, a whole set.

One of the lads bought them off him, he got him down to €30.

Tell us your tales.

Ha, sure you'd be doing well if you could get a decent, used putter for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

DoomZ wrote: »
    A mate of mine got a "real" Armani suit for €80 from a sales rep in a car park....oh how I laughed at his "real" Armani suit
    I had a guy approach me about stock he needed to sell as he wasn't able to take it back to Italy with him and Brown Thomas didn't want it anymore!

Advertisement