Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2015 Car Maintenance Log.

Options
  • 30-12-2014 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

my car failed the NCT on two bushes which I'm about to replace but it got me thinking at this mileage (200,000 miles) I could be on the magic roundabout of replacing such parts regularly.

So the car in question is my previously written off but much loved 2005 Seat Altea 2.0TDI (BKD) 140, now running sweet back on the road with no issues at all, my main concern is the suspension.

I've been looking through the breakers yards and there are tons and tons of Mk5 golfs, A3's, Octavia's etc with the same engine and chassis, so my plan is to get the OEM parts I need from a low mileage car from the breakers yard, fit to my car and save money while getting really good quality parts in the process, which I think is better than using spurious, and cheaper again hopefully.

So I know all the parts from a MK5 GTI (except the obvious) will fit my car, but they are very rare to find, so I am looking for advice to find out if the suspension parts from a GT TDI, TSI, VRS etc are the same. Also as Im going to the hassle of replacing the below parts, what other parts should I be looking to replace springs, tie rods, drop links etc. at the minute I'm looking for the following :

shocks front / rear

bushes / rear

OEM flywheel, clutch and release bearing, from a low mileage donor, the original clutch is still in place and working fine, so its not that urgent but I would like to source an OEM part as backup should mine unexpectedly fail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

2nd hand parts aren't always the way to go especially for suspension parts.

Bushing are Cheap it's the labour that costs and costs double if you have to replace 2nd time

don't get too hung up on OEM parts always being better than spurious, mostly they are but that's from new not 2nd hand.

I stopped using breaker yards years ago because they where dearer than parts from eBay or motor factors or very close in price it made no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

visual wrote: »
    2nd hand parts aren't always the way to go especially for suspension parts.

+1 I have to replace a control arm ball joint on a 50K mile BMW so I don't think scrapyard suspension parts is the way to go. I would just replace the parts when the nice NCT man says they need it and I would probably go the cheaper end of new part because you probably looking at only 2 or 3 more years with your 200,000 miler i.e. just do enough to get it through the test.

Also I think unless you are very experienced it would be difficult to identify unworn suspension parts on a car in the scrapyard so you could end up putting on worn stuff on your own car..... unless you knew that a certain scrap Golf etc had just had €500 worth of new parts fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

yeah I get ye both I'm impressed that the car has only needed these two parts in the 200k so I was of the mind-set that there must be a huge difference in quality, I'd love another 150k out of the car at least..

I don't want to be booking days off here and there with replacing parts etc and as the car is getting on a bit it might be worth getting the whole lot done in bulk.

Advertisement