Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible

Options
  • 30-12-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

So lads im 28..i wouldnt say im fat but im defo not slim either..lets say im a chubby character

I havnt done much sports in last 10 yrs as i discovered alchohol and sex was more fun (at the time)

Ive started going back to the gym

Ive set myself a goal to run a half marathon next yr..more than likely after the summer

My GF reckons ive fell and hit my head

Is it possible? From normal workouts as my work has a gym

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Absofrickinlutely it is. Get a proper training plan in place (running as well as gym) and a year should be enough.
    Loads of good info in the Athletics forum too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Start with a 10km goal, see how you get on with that. Then beast yourself, there's no reason why you won't be able to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If you said that to her, she would kill you. Tell her she is is sexist and do it to spite her, even if you die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Build the running up gradually and wear appropriate trainers or hello shin splints.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Normal workouts? So you bounce on a cross trainer and stretch or a rower, letting the press machines do the chest and shoulder work for you?

Not a chance if so lad, no matter how special you proclaim to be.

Btw; it takes time to build up. Set yerself milestones such as a good 5k a good 10k and so on. Only way to judge if you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭oceanman

stick with the sex and booze....its way more fun than running

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Horizontal jogging. Start with 2 minutes and go from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Specialun wrote: »
    im a chubby character
    Ive set myself a goal to run a half marathon next yr

You can run - but you can't hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

100% possible , I done the exact thing last year. Went to the gym once or twice a week for strength training and went on short jogs building on it each week. Start on a 3 k jog/walk , then less walking , then do the same for 5k , 8 k , 10k ... It gets easier and you'll feel great after each new distance covered. Try get a running app if you have a smart phone too.

I ended up completing the half marathon in a steady 2.5hrs .Then I done Tough mudder ( 12miles ) 2 months later .

2015 im hoping to do the full marathon and a Malin - Mizen head cycle.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Just don't train and do the run in a comedy outfit before collapsing halfway. The journal will definitely do a piece on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Ok so lets say a 10km race..that half a half marathon (sorry my ex maths teacher)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

1. Watch "run fat boy run"
    2. Increase sex with gf.....it burns calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

So lads im 28..i wouldnt say im fat but im defo not slim either..lets say im a chubby character

Ive set myself a goal to run a half marathon next yr..more than likely after the summer

It's possible, as the other posters have pointed out.

The problem for you, though, is that you've posited it as a type of New Years resolution, which invariably always fail. You claim to be chubby so I assume you will go to excess on New Years' Eve - in which case you'll already have failed as this will pour over into the early hours of New Years Day. On feeling guilty and awful from the excesses of the night before, you'll want to rest and avoid exercise, thereby "skipping" your planned regimen until the next day. Said process will continue for the next 30 days, where you might do 1 or 2 solid days of exercise, and fall back into failure as a lazy weekend with friends ensues. This pattern will repeat right up until this time next year where you'll return to AH and erect a new thread hoping for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ok so lets say a 10km race..that half a half marathon (sorry my ex maths teacher)

its about half a half marathon.
    Approx 42Km to a marathon.

Start with a 5km, definitely a case (sorta') of walk before you can run if it's a long time since you ran any length. you are going to be very susceptible to aches, pains and pulls so you need to approach it carefully at first. Once your body starts getting used to the initial 'punishment' you'll begin to enjoy it and won't give up as much.
    Use a smartphone app to get you to that level, then look at getting a proper training plan as you up it to 10k.

If your gf is so sure you haven't a hope of doing it, make a special bet with her;) that you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

paulbok wrote: »
    its about half a half marathon.
    Approx 42Km to a marathon.

Start with a 5km, definitely a case (sorta') of walk before you can run if it's a long time since you ran any length. you are going to be very susceptible to aches, pains and pulls so you need to approach it carefully at first. Once your body starts getting used to the initial 'punishment' you'll begin to enjoy it and won't give up as much.
    Use a smartphone app to get you to that level, then look at getting a proper training plan as you up it to 10k.

If your gf is so sure you haven't a hope of doing it, make a special bet with her;) that you can.

Hmmm..special bet you say...did i hear some1 say 3sum... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I havnt done much sports in last 10 yrs as i discovered alchohol and sex was more fun (at the time)

Ive started going back to the gym

That's a good exercise in itself. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement