Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Salt

Options
  • 30-12-2014 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Are the roads generally gritted throughout the winter now or just select periods when it gets icy? (Like last couple of days). Tinworm scares me to no end after recently seeing a mates car on the ramp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

EazyD wrote: »
    Are the roads generally gritted throughout the winter now or just select periods when it gets icy? (Like last couple of days). Tinworm scares me to no end after recently seeing a mates car on the ramp.
    Are they gritted?
    Rust is treatable and preventable, crashes are generally more of an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I doubt the roads would be salted if it was 10 degrees and raining. As for any other time, I'm glad. Icy motorway is no fun whatsoever and I've driven past enough wrecks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Are they gritted?
    Rust is treatable and preventable, crashes are generally more of an issue.

It's a hugely expensive fix on cars with less underside protection. I've just spent a fair whack getting it right so I'd rather keep it at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's a hugely expensive fix on cars with less underside protection. I've just spent a fair whack getting it right so I'd rather keep it at bay.

Ya lets leave them icy. See what that could do to your car. In relation to your query i doubt it be economical to grit all the time. Why would you need to grit when it not freezing

Ya lets leave them icy. See what that could do to your car. In relation to your query i doubt it be economical to grit all the time. Why would you need to grit when it not freezing

I never suggested that they should be left icy. I'm enquiring as to how often they are generally gritted over winter months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I never suggested that they should be left icy. I'm enquiring as to how often they are generally gritted over winter months.

When it's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

They grit when there is a risk of ice
    that means there is often grit on the roads without any ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Met Éireann issue warnings to councils and the NRA, it's up to them to then decide if they grit or salt roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Would you not get the underside waxoiled?
    Anyway Irish roads and gritting won't cause rust on you car in the same way as they do in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Any of ye ever drive past these gritters out doing their job. The grit gets fired up onto the windscreen, always gives me the biggest hop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Any of ye ever drive past these gritters out doing their job. The grit gets fired up onto the windscreen, always gives me the biggest hop!

Worse when the window is down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Happened me three times coming up the M9 and M7 yesterday. Car is filthy after it too but better than ending up in a hedge this morning!

Would you not get the underside waxoiled?
    Anyway Irish roads and gritting won't cause rust on you car in the same way as they do in the UK

Yeah I'm going to get the underside covered with Dinitrol/Dinitrol filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Drove past gritters out "pretending" to do their job a few years back when they'd ran out of grit but still went out pretending they were gritting the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I'm currently in the UK and it looks like I've white walled the tyres they use so much salt here. I remember when my now wife moved to Ireland with her little ka I'd to put filler on her oil sump as it had rusted from the outside in and was leaking oil. The car was practically rotten and was only 7 or 8 years old at the time. Glad she wrote it off soon after coming over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Not sure how effective it is, but Karcher have an attachment for washing the undercarriage of car.
    Better than nothing I suppose.
    Theres also those NCT ramps that some places have.
    They were never really needed for the NCT purpose, but you could use one to wash under the car.

Also, I understand that drying is important.
    So parking up a damp salty car in an underground car park for a week would probably not help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I find a garden hose to do a great job of cleaning the arches and underside. Without an attachment it's much easier to get into hard to reach places such as behind the wheel arch lip.

No matter how well protected a car is with waxoil etc(it does help a lot though), salt will still do damage so it's essential to wash it off asap. Also any chips or any breaches in the paint should be touched up.

Advertisement